Chapter 2: "𝐻𝑎𝑣𝑒 𝑌𝑜𝑢 𝑆𝑒𝑒𝑛 𝑀𝑦 𝐵𝑟𝑎𝑐𝑒𝑙𝑒𝑡?"

VERNON remains quiet as he tries to process what had happened. Did that girl who was doing whatever she was doing just smile and wink at him? Vernon was quite certain that he had never seen that girl in his life. Or maybe he had, but he wasn't the type to pay attention to other things - or people who weren't swimming or his best friend Laurence.

As if on, cue the nurse re-enters the room with a flask filling with hot coffee. Panicked shuffles are heard from next door as the participants realize how they were about to get caught. Suddenly, a figure emerges from underneath the curtain, causing Vernon to nearly fall out the bed in a fright.

The girl bends down to his level before adjusting his upper body back onto the pillow. Vernon remains frozen as he has no clue to what is happening to him. All he felt was a pair of warm hands roaming about his shoulders and the warm breath that was softly tickling his neck.

The girl lifts herself back up and lifts the ice pack from him before placing it back intricately on his shoulder.

Suddenly, the curtain draws open, and the two look up and are met with the nurse's confusion.

"Who are you?" She asks, adjusting her glasses.

"I came here for painkillers. My period started, and I was waiting for you, but this students' ice pack fell off his shoulder, so I was helping him put it back on without straining him." The soft voice responds, an innocent look on her face.

Vernon scoffs softly at the blatant lie, watching whether the nurse will believe it or not.

"Painkillers huh? I take it you have cramps?" The nurse questions, not really believing the tale being told.

The girl slouches her shoulders and places her hands around her lower belly in an attempt to prove her point. She lets out a low soft groan and takes a slight step backward to rest her weight on the curtain pole.

"I have pretty bad cramps, you see." She says breathlessly, and a pain filled hiss leaves her lips.

"I see." The nurse mumbles, fully believing the girl. "I'll get you your painkillers. Vernon, you can go now."

Vernon nods and hands the ice pack that had now melted slightly back to the nurse. She walks to the back room where all medicines are kept.

"Is she gone?" A boy's voice timidly asks out.

"She's gone now. You can come out." The girl answers, straightening her posture.

"That was close." The boy says, stepping out from the curtains. "I'll quickly go back to class before she returns."

The girl nods her head before motioning for the boy to leave quickly. Upon leaving, she sits on the open space that Vernon once occupied.

Vernon stands up from the bed and does a quick run down on whether he might have dropped something. His hand roams around his wrist as panic begins to rush down his veins.

"Have you seen my bracelet?" He asks, making the girl look up to him.

Not giving the girl a chance to answer, Vernon begins to scurry about the small area, frantically looking for his missing piece of jewelry. That bracelet was like a lifeline for him. His mother had gifted it to him the first time he had won first place at a swimming competition. That was when he was eight years old. Now, ten years later and he always makes sure he has it on his person.

It was considered a lucky charm for him.

"Dude, calm down." The girl advises lifting her feet up to lie on the bed.

Vernon ignores her as he frantically pats the pillow resting on his bed. He leans over the girl in an attempt to search the opening next to her.

"Dude-"

"What is going on here?"