Chapter 15: "𝑇ℎ𝑒 𝐸𝑛𝑑 𝑂𝑓 𝑈𝑠?"

"YOU know if you miss him so much, you should just go and talk to him." Olivia's friend suggests, closing her locker.

Olivia shakes her head. "You should have seen it. He was so hurt."

"Then why did you say all of that? You knew it was going to hurt, yet you still went along and said it."

"I don't know." She groans. "I guess seeing him invoked word vomit I didn't even know I could say. I didn't mean for all those words to come out."

"Listen." Her friend starts holding her hand. "The damage has been done. Whatever reason that made you react like that doesn't matter anymore. You hurt him, Olive. I mean, Vernon is not even glancing at your and has purposely been avoiding you. What I need you to do is think about what you properly want."

"I should apologize to him." She concludes a determined look on her face.

"And say what? Hey, I'm sorry I spilled word vomit on you and for poking at your feelings for me?"

Olivia's shoulders sag.

"Olive, do you like Vernon?"

"No." She responds without thinking.

"Have you properly thought about it? I know you and Vernon had gotten close, so the idea of you becoming more seems weird, but do you really not like him?"

The said boy is at the far end of the hallway, talking away with Laurence. He says something, and the two burst out in laughter, a few heads turning to their direction. Olivia watches as members of the swim team join happily chatting away with the two. Another one says something, making the group fall into laughter again.

Despite having seven new heads, Olivia's eyes were glued on Vernon.Focused on his face, she watched as his lips grew into a smile. He looked at peace with his friend and his team surrounding him. Watching him chat freely did something to her heart. She didn't understand what it was, but she hoped it was her who was talking to him and making him laugh.

"I'd only approach him after I've thought about what I really want to tell him. Obviously, you don't know how you feel, so leave him alone." Her friend continues looking at Vernon. "He seems happy. Let's not ruin his mood."

On cue, the bell goes off, signaling the start of classes. Olivia lets out a sigh before locking arms with her friend and heading for class.

Vernon watches as Olivia's body disappears from his sight. Deep down, he was still hurt. It had been a month since they last spoke, and he still felt terrible. Since that much time had passed, Vernon decided to try acting back to normal, as he didn't want to continue worrying his friend.

After all, what type of guy stays in love with the same girl who brutally broke his heart?

Letting out a sigh, Vernon was thankful that Olivia was not in his class.

~~~

The day ends as quickly as it starts, with Laurence waiting for his friend by the gate. Vernon had been called by the coach for a quick chat, and since the two were heading to the same house, Laurence patiently waiting for his friend.

A voice makes him twist around, only to be met with Olivia's gaze. Narrowing his eyes, he waits for the girl to speak.

"How are you?" She asks awkwardly, scratching her arm.

Laurence fights the urge to roll his eyes. "What do you want, Olivia?"

Olivia's backpack suddenly feels heavy. Even an object that doesn't breathe. heard the icy tone in his voice. Clearing her throat, she speaks,