Chapter 11: "𝐾𝑒𝑒𝑝 𝑇ℎ𝑖𝑠 𝑆𝑎𝑓𝑒 𝐹𝑜𝑟 𝑀𝑒."

THERE was exactly four days left till the inter-high finals. Vernon had been training crazily for the last month. Coach had upped their training as it was an important time for them.

"You've improved Vernon." Coach compliments. "You're three seconds faster."

"Thank you Coach."

"That's enough for today! Remember to get enough sleep!"

"Yes Coach!" The athletes say in unison.

Vernon makes his way to the changing area where he takes a quick shower and dresses back into his uniform. Leaving the pool he makes his way back to the classrooms.

He stops upon hearing Olivia call his name. Turning around, he watches as the girl approach him.

"I've been calling you for a while. Do you have water in your ears or something?"

Vernon raises an eyebrow, slighlty amused by the statement.

"As a matter of fact, yes I do."

Olivia rolls her eyes, humor shining through them. She had missed him. The past month they had barely seen each other. Only saying quick hellos when changing classes. Olivia didn't admit it, but she was used to having him around her all the time.

By this point, Vernon had come to terms with his feelings. All that is left is to ask her out. Easier said than done as he was a bundle of nerves everytime she's around.

"How's training going?"

"Great. I'm three seconds faster."

"Wow that's great, I think. Higher chances of you winning right?"

Vernon nods as he silently admired her.

"Well, I gotta get to class, I have a bio prac."

"Good luck." He mumbles.

"Thanks. I'll need it."

Walking away, Vernon is left following her disappearing silhouette.

~~~

"I'm going to ask her out after the finals."

"I beg your pardon?" Laurence says a piece of pasta hanging in the air out his mouth.

"Yeah." He confirms. "The timing is perfect no?"

Laurence slurps up the piece. "I mean, if that's what you want, then sure go ahead. How are you gonna do it?"

That's the thing. He didn't know.

Shaking his head in defeat he responds with a quiet 'I don't know.'

"I'm sure you'll figure it out." Laurence says, trying to hype up his friend.

~~~

Two days until finals and Vernon is sweating bullets. Only this time it wasn't Olivia. It was his match. Despite preparing the whole year for this moment, he was still as nervous as he was when he first tried out the deep-end.

He was seated on the bleachers near the pool, reflection visible. His bracelet was safely secured around his wrist as he caressed it out of habit. Vernon didn't know how long he sat there. Not that he cared anyways.

And that's where Olivia found him.

"Hey you." She greets, seating next to him.  "What are you doing here?"

"Juat thinking."

"Penny for your thoughts?"

"Nervous about finals."

"It's normal to feel nervous under circumstances like this. You're under pressure and that's fine. What matters is you doing your best."

Vernon smiles at the girl, seemingly feeling better. Standing up, he signals for them to go. Following, the two begin to make their way to the gate.

"You know, I'll think you're gonna win. You did say you're three seconds faster."

Vernon looked at her amused. "The others probably improved too."

"But you're still better." She concludes, stubbornly.

The determination on her face was adorable to Vernon as he couldn't her but laugh at her.

"What?"

Vernon shakes his head. "Nothing."

The two reach the gate, and it was time for them to part ways.

"See you tommorow." Olivia says and turns to make her way home. Vernon grabs her arm, stopping her.

Olivia stares at him curiosly waiting for him to say what he wanted to say. Only he doesn't say a thing.

Instead, Vernon unbuckles his bracelet, and hands it to Olivia a smile on his face.

"Keep this safe for me yeah? You know how important it is to me."

Not giving Olivia the chance to respond, Vernon makes his way home, proud of what he did.

Olivia looks down again the bracelet confused. Why did he give this to her?

Not realizing that Vernon had practically confessed, Olivia tightens the grip around the bracelet and starts to make her way home.

~~~