Chapter 14: "𝐼 𝐻𝑜𝑝𝑒 𝑌𝑜𝑢 𝐿𝑖𝑘𝑒 𝑇ℎ𝑒 𝑁𝑒𝑥𝑡 𝑃𝑒𝑟𝑠𝑜𝑛..."

"WHAT is your problem?" Olivia fumes glaring at Vernon, who stares at her confused.

"I'm sorry?"

"What is your problem?" She repeats, her voice louder.

Laurence looks at the girl and glances up to his friend, confused. Both he and Vernon share a surprised look before Laurence quietly excuses himself.

"I don't get what you mean." Vernon responds, his voice calm.

"You! Why did you have to do that?" She accuses. "Why did you have to come here and say your dumb feelings?"

Vernon's eyebrows furrow at the outburst. What was Olivia talking about?

"Olivia, we haven't spoken in three weeks. What is going on with you? My feelings? I just told you I liked you. Was that really wrong of me?"

"Stop saying that!" She bursts, her glare sharper. "I told you I don't like you. So stop burdening me with your feelings."

Now Vernon was starting to get upset. "I haven't burdened you with anything. I'm giving you space like you asked."

"We could have stayed friends. But you had to ruin it with your feelings. Why, Vernon, why? Why are you doing this to me?"

"I'm not doing anything to you! You rejected me, and i understood. I'm respecting your wishes."

"That doesn't mean I don't know how you truly feel. Do you think I'm blind? Those longing looks across the hallway. You'd have to be a fool not to see them. As a matter of the fact is, your feelings make me uncomfortable. The idea of us being together bothers me more than i'd like to admit. You shouldn't have liked me."

By the time she finishes, Olivia is breathing loudly. She knows she's being unreasonable, yet Vernon had managed to overtake her mind. These past three weeks have been hell all because of him. Every thought, every image was of him, and it made her angry.

"Listen, Olivia." Vernon starts moving closer to her. "I had already prepared myself for a rejection, hence why I haven't tried anything else after you said no. But you coming up to me right now, berating me for liking you, making me feel like an asshole for liking you is going too far."

"As far as you confessing?"

Vernon let's out a frustrated sigh. "I'm sorry for burdening you with my feelings. But I won't apologize for liking you. Just like you, I am human with feelings of my own. No one here has the right to dictate how I feel."

Vernon steps back, disappointment in his eyes.

"It's fine, you don't like me. But going as far as saying it disgusts you...hurts. I wasn't aware that liking me was that unpleasant."

Olivia feels her resolve dropping. Did Vernon really feel that way?

"Rejecting me is one thing. But this... this is another. I hope no one else has to feel this level of unwanted."

Olivia opens her mouth, trying to protest, but no words come out.

Vernon drops his gaze, not bearing to look at her anymore.

"I hope you will like the next person who likes you back. Because this feeling... this feeling sucks. Goodbye, Olivia."

And with that, he walks away, this time not turning back to glance at her.

~~~

Follow| Comment | Vote