𝔠𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 𝔣𝔬𝔯𝔱𝔶-𝔢𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱

📍 Somewhere in medieval Britain

April, 506 AD

The first thing I noticed was a cold, hard surface against the back side of my body. Were it not for my hoodie and protective riding vest, I'd probably have goosebumps. Next I was made aware of the darkness surrounding me and a faint stream of light somewhere above me. Then muffled voices, as if I were just beneath the surface of a pool. 

An involuntary groan escaped my lips as I forced my eyes to open. 

"She's up!" a voice I instantly recognised as Merlin's called. I blinked rapidly as I tried to focus my sight on the small barred window above me, finding that's where the sunlight was filtering through, but a face got in its way. A very handsome face, at that. Though the worry in its pretty blue eyes caused my heart to churn. 

"Did we win?" I asked, finding my throat drier than I'd anticipated as the sound came out slightly raspy. Arthur let out a shaky breath and dropped his forehead to my abdomen as he sat criss-cross next to me in a weird hunched position, taking deep breaths. My body tensed up without my permission, though the contact wasn't unwelcome. 

"I told you she would be okay," I heard Merlin say. I turned my head to find him sitting with his back against a dark stone wall. A small grin played on his lips, though the storm brewing in his eyes told me that he'd been concerned. 

Slowly, I brought my hand up to stroke Arthur's hair. 

"What happened?" I asked, now realising that we were in a jail cell. The Prince sighed and lifted his head, straightening up his back. Then his right hand quickly shot to grab one of mine and he intertwined our fingers. 

He gulped before speaking. "We were largely outnumbered and forced to surrender." Darn! Another gulp. I squeezed his hand in reassurance. "You, uh. You hit your head pretty hard and passed out. I-I thought you were dead for a second," he explained further as a dark storm of emotions thundered in his watery eyes. 

My head shot towards Merlin, my eyebrows raised as my heart sped up. 

"It was a pretty hard blow. You got really lucky," the sorcerer spoke, then raised his eyebrows suggestively. Okay, so 'lucky' meant he used his magic to heal me. It was the only thing that made sense, since I felt no pain at all. I was only slightly dizzy. Arthur's eyes shifted downwards to our joined hands and I took that moment of distraction from him to mouth a 'thank you' to my best friend, who smiled and winked. 

I sat up a bit quicker than I should've, causing the dizziness to intensify. 

"Woah, take it easy!" Arthur scolded, bringing a hand to my shoulder as he tried to push me back down. I shrugged it off. 

"I'll take it easy when I'm old and bedridden!" I protested as I scrambled to my feet. "We gotta get out of here!" I added, then I frowned. "Wait. How come we're still alive?" I asked, my question mostly directed at the Prince, since he was the one with military experience.