𝔠𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 𝔱𝔴𝔢𝔫𝔱𝔶-𝔢𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱

📍 Camelot

📍 Camelot

October, 505 AD

[trigger warning: death, panic attack]

Unfortunately for those of us who had wanted to get a decent sleep on an actual bed, the Prince had found a shorter alternative route to Camelot, meaning that we did not return to the Inn and, instead, had to set up camp in the middle of the woods.

I did my best to cook a bean and veggie stew over a campfire, with some help from Merlin, and then we sat in silence to eat. My best friend seemed worlds away, his brow furrowed as he stared off into the distance. In between bites, I let my spoon sit in my bowl and rested my spare hand on his knee, rubbing circles with my thumb and hoping that it would be in some way comforting to him. He hadn't swatted my hand away yet, so I had that going for me. 

This time around, Arthur was the one attempting to make conversation with us. I did my best to keep up with it, knowing how awful it felt to be ignored, but I was repeatedly distracted by eating and comforting Merlin. 

"I always thought that silence would be a blessing with you, Merlin, but I find it just as irritating. You are a riddle," the Prince was more direct in his next attempt to snap my best friend out of his trance. I nudged his knee with mine and narrowed my eyes at him – but a grin betrayed me and he seemed to take that as a motion to keep pestering the black-haired boy. 

"A riddle?" Merlin did not turn his head as he replied, his voice cold. "Yes. But I have got to quite like you," Arthur complimented the sorcerer, making my eyes widen. "Oh, this has to go straight to the history books! Arthur has admitted that he likes Merlin!" I cheered. 

"Oh yeah?" a smirk formed on the sorcerer's lips, his attention finally focused on Arthur and I. "Yeah – now I realise you are not as big a fool as you look," the Prince teased, mirroring Merlin's expression. 

Normally, I would have defended my friend – but he was finally smiling and, as offended as I was that Arthur was the cause of it and not me, I decided to let their banter continue and sit back, watching in amusement. 

"Yeah, I feel the same – now that I realise you are not as arrogant as you sound," Merlin replied sharply. "You still think I am arrogant?" Arthur seemed slightly taken aback by that, which made my smile widen. "No. More..." Merlin thought for a moment, "Supercilious." I laughed, Arthur gasped. 

"That is a big word, Merlin. Are you sure you know what it means?" the Prince still kept up. "Condescending," my friend replied. "Very good," the blond seemed satisfied. "Patronising," Merlin continued listing. "It does not quite mean that," Arthur corrected. "No, these are other things you are," my bestie shot back. 

I bursted out laughing and high-fived him. 

"Hang on!" Arthur protested. "Over-bearing," Merlin added and I laughed harder.