𝔠𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 𝔣𝔬𝔯𝔱𝔶-𝔱𝔥𝔯𝔢𝔢

📍 Camelot

📍 Camelot

April, 506 AD

"Oh, it is an exciting day!" Uther exclaimed as he sat on his throne, Arthur by his side. I sat on the floor close to the Prince, as I found the chairs that Morgana and I were assigned for such occasions to be extremely uncomfortable. The carpeted floor was much better. 

The three of us were in the throne room because the King had invited some guests over. He refused to tell me who, and had even given me an entire week off my duties as his advisor while he planned the event, making me suspicious. And slightly fearful. I fiddled with a dagger I'd stolen from Arthur at some point, having ignored multiple protests from both royals in the last five minutes. They insisted I was bound to stab myself with it at some point. 

"The arrival of Lord Godwyn is always a cause for celebration," Arthur replied to his father. My head snapped towards the King. "Lord Godwyn?!" I asked in exasperation. Uther let out a sigh, closing his eyes. "Yes. And Princess Elena," he added, giving me a pointed look. I involuntarily let my dagger fall on my lap and jumped at the clattering sound. "I thought I gave you a million reasons why this was a bad idea! And you agreed!" I stood up, stepping in front of the man and crossing my arms. 

Arthur's eyes darted between us, likely confused about the situation. 

"Yes, you did. And I listened. But Lord Godwyn insisted that we should at least meet in person and allow Arthur and Elena get to know each other, as well discuss things further," Uther explained sternly. "I do not have to explain myself to you, Astraea," he then caught himself and waved me off. I narrowed my eyes at him. 

"What is going on?" Arthur finally dared to ask. I scoffed and turned to him, but Uther beat me to speaking. "Lord Godwyn is a serious ally. The strength of such a match cannot be underestimated," he stated, still eyeing me. "Please tell me you mean a jousting match," Arthur seemed mortified now. "No, he means a marriage," I said through gritted teeth. The Prince's eyes almost jumped out of their sockets. "Marriage?!" he exclaimed in alarm. 

The doors opened, preventing us from discussing the matter further. But several plans were already forming in my head. There's no way I'm giving up Arthur without a fight. 

"Godwyn!" the King exclaimed at seeing the tall, slim Lord at the end of the hall. They walked towards each other and met halfway in a hug. "Hey, perhaps we should set them up," I whispered to the Prince, who was still in shock, and gave him a friendly nudge. His eyes darted to me and he let out a faint grin. 

"Princess Elena – you are most welcome." My eyes shot towards the door as Uther spoke again and I saw a tall, blonde girl stumble through. She only made it a couple of steps before tripping over air and falling down face first. My eyes widened and I rushed towards her. She pulled herself up to a sitting position, face flushed. I offered her a hand and helped her stand. "It's all right. That's happened to me more times than I can count," I offered some sympathy. She smiled.