15: It's Raining Stones

The roof came down. Rocks rained form above in a shower that sent everyone into a panic and the light that was pouring in from them was blinding. Dust settled on from above, casting odd shadows, and the masked lady waved a hand, a gust wind followed its wake clearing the air.

"Time to go," She said the calmly. "Children to me. Ora open a gate."

The purple haired girl that had helped us in, Ora, was already drawing something on the ground. A violet glow steaming up from where she touched. Christopher and Phinion seemed to be trying to get the crowd to huddle up, even holding a few kids by the scruff of their shirt just to stop them from running.

My head was still a little fuzzy. It all seemed a little unreal to me. The ground was so close, the pebbles that were falling down were sizable rocks to me that I would fill my hand. My hand. Looking to my side I flexed where my hand should have been and the dark blue, feathered wing moved instead. Then something terrible dawned on me. Where were my clothes? My cloak! The cake balls that where inside? It seemed so terribly important to me at that moment. Swerving my head this way and that I started walking in a circle and away from the crowd when a boulder three times my size crashed beside me making me jump. It cracked like thunder, shards of it flying spraying to my side, and splitting cleanly down the middle. It was only then that reality set in.

"Satin!" Phin cried sprinting toward me. He was stopped in his tracks when a chunk of the ceiling landed smack dab in between us.

It was a mountain to me, impossibly huge and louder than anything I had ever heard, I lost sight of Phinion and jumped again and something in me wanted me to run. It was the same feeling as hearing a noise in the night. Everything seemed to be heightened. The dust was suffocating, swirling around as if it was targeting me. More rocks fell and with each one a noise that sent a jolt down my spine making me move. There was screaming, crying, noises from everyone, but they seemed. It all culminated into one word. Fly.

The old man was already stumbling when a nasty shake sent almost everyone off balance. A cry came from him and Christopher just managed to catch him before falling.

"The chil- bir- Bird child! Namir!" The old man shouted, clutching Chris' arm.

"On itAH!" The bird had tried to fly directly toward me when another shake dropped an enormous stalactite. He disappeared in the dust.

"NAMIR!" The man tried to pry himself from Christopher but he wouldn't let go.

Flailing my arms, they spread out farther than I thought. That feeling to run, to move, to fly, was pushing me to flap, but I didn't know how. In back of my mind a voice was telling me that I was going the wrong direction. From the edges of my view I could see that the girl who let us in had expanded her soft purple light to be beneath everyone, who was huddling close together. The old man had fallen silent as Chris stopped holding him to help with the animals the other children carried. The masked lady was watching me as she seemed to use all her strength to keep Phinion from dashing after me.

"Satin!"

The light from above engulfed us suddenly, the sound and sight of the cave disappeared, and I was suddenly under the bright blue sky.