origin

Y/n stared down the Mad One with a deadly glare. Bourbon twitched on the floor, life slowly draining from his body. The city behind the Mad One seemed to radiate silence louder than the awkward atmosphere between Y/n and the Mad One.

The Mad One slowly sat crossed legged in front of Bourbon's corpse. Y/n hesitantly copied him, sitting crossed legged. Bourbon's corpse violently twisted before contorting and reforming into the shape of a dinner table.

Y/n felt her stomach twitch trying to watch it. The Mad One placed his hands on the table, letting Y/n see them clearly. Even with them in sight, she couldn't shake the feeling in her stomach that this wasn't right.

"You wanted to talk, so talk." Y/n demanded.

"Of course." The Mad One said calmly. "I think we should start with your parents, and your real parents."

"My mom and dad who raised me, and the ones who gave birth to me?"

"Not quite." The Mad One said thoughtfully. "The parents who had given birth to you, and the vessel that you inherited from your 'mother' so to speak."

"Okay. Fine. After this though... I'm going to shove that beak up your ass."

"Mmm. Just as violent..." The Mad One said sadly. "I suppose we should start with my origin. Yours shall not make sense otherwise."

"... Make it quick."

"My work started little over seventy years ago, though the time between universes is... complicated. Perhaps I am a thousand years old in my own world, and yet have barely aged here. As if I am bound by age still."

"Skip the philosophy."

"Very well. This is not my original world, that much you can gather. My world is long lost. Erased with only my memory being the only evidence for its existence. I was a simple man. A friend of a researcher into the SCP Foundation. Of course, at the time I did not know she worked there, but I knew she was loved by... everyone. Almost, no, enough to be classified like an anomaly."

Y/n could see the eyes of the Mad One soften slightly. He took a deep breath, his fingers clawing at the table.

"I became aware of their secret lifestyle when they brought home one of the SCP they worked with. However, that SCP had tricked her. It wanted her... all to itself. Reality had been torn apart to make her his prisoner. His captured lover."

Y/n felt weirder as the story went on. She wanted to interrupt, punch him in the face, but the sooner he finished the sooner she could do just that without him monologuing during the fight.

"She had the unique ability to copy any anomalous power or change it to her whim. Even remove it. It was this power she used to self-destruct herself and save me. Her best friend."

The Mad One reached up to his mask as Y/n held her breath. Her blood turning to ice as the raven mask clattered to the ground, the man's cloak falling to the ground. His skin was grey, almost transparent. His face, there were no features. Only two letters: F/N were scrawled across it.

"Oh... fuck." Y/n whispered.

"That was my reaction!" The Mad One said with a laugh. "She left behind her spirit, but it had no consciousness. But it told me everything I needed to know. That the name I called her wasn't real. She was a Y/n. Just. Like. You. Learning that your existence, and the existence of the person you cared about the most were just... glitches in the universe. It's a pain you can't imagine. You want to know what's worse? I wasn't the only one left in that world. There were others."