17: Amren - Warlock

The three of us enter the city of Whiteridge, where we find a man hunched over a table as we walk into a building Xadir had said he knew someone. Someone who could help us. And as we walk into the building and I take in this man's appearance, I see the woman leering over his shoulder.

"Well, well," says the woman, her voice carrying a thick accent. She steps forward, placing a hand on the man's shoulder. She studies me as I study her.

The woman is a Glamor, and she has her long, black hair flowing down her back and chest. Her tan skin is smeared with makeup, and her hazel eyes are underlined with dark kohl makeup. She studies me, her fierce hazel eyes staring me down. Her dress is silver and white, form-fitting. A long skirt is split in the sides, showing off the woman's legs.

She looks away abruptly. Then turns to Xadir, a strange look on her face as she stares at him. He stares right back, before the man clears his throat.

"You want one of my girls for somethin, Xadir?" he asks. He picks up an old cigar, pops it into his mouth, and lights it. He puffs out a plume of smoke, and I look over at Raelynn. She is shaking. Her mismatched eyes are locked on the man before us. 

"Maybe," says Xadir.  "I'd like to talk to Morrow."

"Morrow, eh?  Ach, too bad, I say," slurs the man. He waves the woman behind him away, and she bows her head before vanishing behind a curtain behind his desk. This room we are in is dark, and only a few sconces with open flames illuminate this place. The man stands up suddenly, narrowing his eyes on Raelynn. "What the fuck's she doin' here, Xadir?!"

"I am free," Raelynn says, raising her chin.  "I am not your property anymore."

The fat man scoffs. "Ah, of course you are, of course you are. You're the whore of the Dark Council, now. Aren't ya?"

She tenses beside me. I step forward.  "Shut the fuck up."

He laughs.  "You need to contain these girls, Xadir. Put them in their place."

Anger swells in me, and Xadir steps between me and him. He faces the pig of a human, his fists clenched at his sides. His yellow eyes burning with hatred.

"I just want to speak to Morrow."

Sighing, the man exhales a plume of smoke in Xadir's face. He turns to the curtain. Snaps his fingers loudly. Moments later, the girl from before returns.  She bows before him and he rolls his beady little eyes. "Go get Morrow, Victoria."

Victoria nods and hurries from the building. Xadir glares at the man, who just sits down. "Might as well take a seat, ya three. She will be a while."

We sit there, in silence. The man looks at me.

"You seem lovely," he says.

"Fuck you, Woodman," snaps Raelynn. "Leave her alone."

He chuckles.  "So easily triggered, Raelynn. I taught you better."

"More like beat the emotions out of me," she growls.

That's when Victoria returns with another woman.  She's a Chimera, who studies me with an intensity of a wolf. She looks over to Xadir, and an easy smile crosses her face, her dark skin streaked with sweat. She turns to Woodman, who nods to Xadir.

"So, what's the price?" Woodman asks. "What'll you give me for her?"

Morrow looks at him, then Xadir. "Here." Xadir stands up and tosses a bag of gold grysalo onto the desk. He stares at Woodman's greedy little eyes as the fat man looks at the coins.

I look at Raelynn. She's scared of this human. He used to own her.

You see, there are groups of men and women who own those of us with magic in their blood. They all have tons of us, many Etherealites who are trapped in the service of mortals who exploit us and our powers. None of them are there of their own free will. No, they are all trapped.

Raelynn turns away as Xadir says, "And I want Victoria, too."

Woodman stares at him. "What? You .... you think this is enough coin for two of my most prized girls?"

Xadir nods. "You will give them both to me. And if you don't, well, I have connections. I know of someone who would be glad to bloody her blade with your entrails."

Woodman literally gulps. He looks away, and waves a hand. "Go, then. Both of you, go."

Morrow and Victoria look at each other. Then back to Woodman and Xadir.

"You're free of me," says Woodman. "But you belong to him now. So behave."

The five of us leave that accursed place, and as soon as we are down the street from it, Raelynn whirls on Xadir.

"You are a monster. How could you even live with yourself? You just bought fucking two Etherealites!"

"Would you rather I leave them to Woodman?" Xadir asks her, his tone sharp. He turns to Victoria and Morrow, both women looking a bit nervous. "Don't worry, you two. I promise that this is going to be alright. I just need your help, and then, you are free."

Victoria blinks. "Free?"

He nods.  "Yes. So, either of you know where we can find a girl named Cassiopeia, who's an Anomaly, and a girl named Quaith, a Mystic?"

"Why would we know where the fuck they are? Who are they, anyway?" Victoria asks.

Morrow places with the rings on her fingers. She looks away. Then back to me, to Raelynn.  She says, her voice low, "Why do you wish to find them?"

"It's.... business."

I scoff, but Xadir shoots me a warning look.

Morrow looks at me. She shakes her head.  "I'm sorry, I don't...."

"Want to go back to Woodman?" Xadir asks.

Raelynn gapes at him. But he simply ignores her, as he stares at Morrow and Victoria.

"Let's try again. Where are they?"