The Ten Kingdoms - Chapter 16

(Three Months Later)

Liam Carnell

"Come on, Liam." Jade said, looking at me as I sat in between Emma's legs within the training grounds. "You need to concentrate, form a second hand, no matter the size." I was holding my hand out in front of me, trying to bring forth a shadow hand like she could, just a small one, but couldn't, nothing was happening.

"Take your time." Emma said, holding my one shoulder, trying to be positive with me. I've been trying to form a spell for the past week now, and nothing has appeared. It sucked, but I knew, and I was being told, that it would take time for me to learn these things. "You'll figure it out."

"Emma is right." Jade told me, but I kept on trying. "It'll take some time." I usually trained with Jade every day, thirty minutes to hour, there was never a time where I didn't. My parents wanted me to get strong, and ever since that day, when Jackson tested me, they've been really happy.

I've overheard them talking, the people of Villena could not believe my potential. I think they were happy about their future King being strong. I still have a long way to go, I can't even perform a spell right now. It has been only a week, so I'm not worried about anything.

"Remember, breath, bring the mana in and form a picture in your mind." Jade said, looking at me as she spoke. "Use your imagination, anything is possible, all you have to do is picture it." 

"Okay." I said in my baby voice. I've been talking a little more, being three months older, I've added a little more to my vocabulary around the people I am with most of the time. "I try." Things like that are things I say, trying to act my age, or close to my age.

"I know, I know." Jade smiled at me, shaking her head as she looked up at Emma. "He is so cute, sometimes I can't handle it." I just continued, trying to form the shadow hand, but nothing showed up. "Just keep trying, Liam, just keep trying."

"Haha, I know." Emma agreed with the prior statement Jade made, holding my sides as I sat in between her legs that were straight out on either side of me. "Liam, you got this, just take your time and a spell will form."

We sat in silence for a little, I was just trying to form anything at this point. Kids my age weren't doing these things, they were normally playing with toys, or something related to that. They weren't mages, and they were training like I was. Don't get me wrong, I am completely fine with this, I just have to realize that normally, kids my age wouldn't be performing any sort of action related to mana.

There were most likely other kinds that awakened at the same age as me, or close, but they probably weren't as smart as I am. I know if smart is the term I would use, but I mean, I'm from another world and can process information a lot faster than kids who are normal. I think that is the way to say it, I'm not sure, maybe not.

"I think that's enough for today." Jade said, leaning back and then coming forward to get to her feet. "You've done excellent, Liam, you may not have formed anything, but you are getting there." She paused and cracked her neck as she adjusted, then spoke some more. "I think Duke Glennon is here, maybe we should go and pay your father a visit, what do you think, Emma?"

Emma pulled her legs into her and got to her feet, then placed a hand on top of my head. "I think that is a great idea." I turned towards Emma who was still holding my head and she asked. "Would like to walk or be carried, Prince Liam?"

"Walk." I said, reaching a handout to her.

"Alright." Emma said, reaching down and taking my hand so she could help guide me. "Do you remember meeting Duke Glennon's daughter?" She asked me as the three of us started walking out of the training grounds.