The Dilemma Of Unwanted Consequences

The Master Bedroom, Rawsone Residence, Denver, Colorado...

    Late into the night, Hadrian Rawsone awoke sliding his sleeping wife off his chest and gently lying her onto her side of the bed. He had not been entirely truthful with his wife nor the detective about what he could recall from his time away from home. He was honest about not recalling much about the apparent robbery that led to his shooting, but he left out the fact that he had briefly regained consciousness sometime before ending up in the back alley of the diner. His mind could vividly make out what looked to have been a barn of some sort and that his body was surrounded by hay. He recalled the smell of animals nearby and even heard them moving about when he had semi-consciousness.

The distinctive scratchy feeling of hay digging into his skin beneath his clothes was quite an unpleasant experience, one that isn't easily forgotten by anyone who had the unfortunate luck of falling into or laying down in a bale of hay. He recalled the hands that roamed all over his body, starting at his feet taking off his dress shoes, and venturing up his suit-clad thighs as he attempted to get loose from whatever ropes had been wrapped around his wrists and ankles. He felt the abrasive material of the rope digging into the sides of his wrists cutting the flesh and drawing blood.

His treacherous body seemed to be reacting to the unwanted touch and the tugging associated with someone undoing his belt. Busy hands unbuttoning his trousers and searching for something. He groaned when the hands reached through his boxer shorts and freed his rapidly stimulated appendage. The last thing he recalled feeling aside from disgust that his own body had betrayed him was the initial sensation of being engulfed by a familiar warmth, but knew it had not been his wife he was otherwise engaged with.

Sweating profusely, Hadrian Rawsone slipped out of bed unable to get the sensations out of his mind as he ventured toward the nearby bathroom desperate for a means of distraction from his rapidly firing memories and the sensations they brought. His stomach was in knots and he had a difficult time keeping the urge to vomit down as he paced back and forth in an attempt to make sense of what was happening to him.

Detailed analysis of his own fragmented memories dictated that there was no use of protection between himself and this strange woman who had seen her way to taking advantage of him. Unable to hold it back any longer, Hadrian found his way to the toilet and began to vomit continuously unsure how he was going to explain any of this to his wife. They had been married since they were both sixteen years old and parents after that. He never so much as looked at another woman with desire since he'd been married and the possibility of having a child with a stranger twisted enough to take advantage of him was even worse a scenario than he ever could have imagined.

The distraught doctor flushed the toilet and made his way to the sink where he splashed water on his face before taking the time to brush his teeth before heading back to bed. The images were quite vivid and have been plaguing him ever since his return. He finished up his attempt to shake them off and ventured back to bed where his wife was currently slumbering.

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

The Master Bedroom, Rawsone Residence, Denver, Colorado...

In the darkness of the bedroom, he had time to contemplate all that he had as well as all he had to lose if he had not been careful. He couldn't let Julia know that he had betrayed her in a sense and he couldn't let the betrayal come between them. It was a tall order given the nature of his recent return, but he was determined not to let whomever it was that attacked him destroy everything that he and Julia had built together.

"Hadrian?" said Julia awakening in the darkness and looking about the room for him.

"I'm right here," replied Hadrian walking over toward the bed and slipping back beneath the covers.

"Where'd you go?" asked Julia sleepily.

"I wasn't feeling very well and had a bad case of nausea," he replied.

"Probably something you ate." reasoned Julia. "Are you sure you're alright?"

"Probably," replied Hadrian in agreement as he lay back against his pillows. "I'm fine now that I'm home with you again."

They shared a brief series of kisses before Julia scooted closer to him until she rested her head against his chest like before. He seemed amused by her clinginess despite knowing where it had stemmed from. Had he been aware that he'd been away from her for three months he wouldn't have been too keen on being apart from her either even for a moment.

"I love you," she said staring out into the darkness of the room via the opposite wall.

"I love you too," replied Hadrian staring up at the ceiling.

Although he was with her, his mind had traveled elsewhere and he found himself struggling to suppress the vivid memories of what happened to him when he'd been in that eerie barn. He knew it would be an uphill battle in a bid to reclaim the life that was nearly stolen from him, but he was prepared to take up the fight no matter how hard it got. Julia and his children had been his whole world since he'd been a mere teenager and there was no way he was going to let them slip away.

Julia had been lost in her thoughts as well and insecurities began to surface under cover of darkness. She feared losing the man she loved a great deal and the fact that his own father had been so inclined to abandon his family still rocked her to her core.

Hadrian was nothing like that man Colin, but there was no telling how much of an effect having his father resurface into his life would have on the already severely traumatized man. In the blink of an eye, she could have lost him for good and she wouldn't have even known it.

As if sensing her distress, Hadrian wrapped his arms around her in a bid to give her reassurance. He had not liked the distress she'd been under but there was little to help that after everything she endured in his absence and the shock of finding out just how close he had come to never being able to return home again must have taken quite the toll on her mentally and emotionally.

Hadrian made it a point to do whatever he had to do to ensure that she understood that he was in it for the long hall.

"I'm here, Jules," he said gripping her tightly. "I'm here."

Despite his assurances, Julia wasn't too sure about that after everything that had happened over the past three months.