Everyday Revelation

Start from the beginning

"We're a big boy right, so we're not going to spill?" Poseidon asked as he handed the glass off. Percy eagerly reached for it, pouting as Poseidon held it just out of reach.

"Yes, yes, I'ma big boy," Percy huffed, making 'gimme' hands. "No spill."

"Alright," Poseidon conceded, handing the water over. "Use both hands."

Percy dutifully wrapped both hands around the cup, cradling it close to his chest. He took a little sip, nibbling on the edge of the cup. His eyes flickered up to his father then back at the water, holding the cup up to his mouth but not really drinking.

"I thought you were thirsty," Poseidon sighed, rubbing his temple.

"I am!" Percy objected, brow furrowing as he glared cross eyed up at Poseidon. Looking determined, he took another sip of water.

"Don't make yourself sick if you aren't thirsty," Poseidon sighed, gently pulling the water away from the boy.

"Was firstee," Percy stubbornly insisted, clutching the water and glaring up at Poseidon. It was a stubborn little expression, brow furrowed and lips downturned in an almost perfect imitation of his father's disgruntled expression. It was...ridiculously adorable and equally frustrating.

"Okay, you were thirsty," Poseidon placated, too tired to start a fight with a five-year-old. "Come on, bed time."

He grabbed Percy under the armpits and heaved the kid off the counter, plopping him onto the floor. Percy made a little sound of joy, followed by one of disappointment as his feet were returned to the floor. The water clutched tightly in his hands spilled a little, splashing against the tile and he stared accusingly at Poseidon.

"Not my fauwt," Percy immediately claimed.

"Yeah alright, that was my fault. I'll clean it up in the morning, come on. Time for bed, Daddy's tired."

Poseidon rubbed at his temple, the combination of stress and sleep deprivation making his temper even shorter than usually. Percy clung to Poseidon's leg as they made their way to the bedrooms and he had to bite his tongue to reign in his temper as it caused him to stumble. The last thing he wanted to do was lash out at his son.

"Alright, let's get tucked into bed," Poseidon said, pushing Percy into his room.

"Oh," Percy said, his eyes widening as Poseidon pushed him into the obnoxiously blue room. His eyes flickered up to his dad just as the room lit up with a brilliant flash of lightning. Percy jumped, letting out a soft cry as he backpedaled into Poseidon's legs at the thunder that followed.

Poseidon frowned at the child, who tried to cover his blunder by taking a sip of water.

"Percy," Poseidon tried.

"Firstee," came the immediate reply.

"Percy, did the thunderstorm wake you?"

"No, was firstee."

"Percy," Poseidon said gently.

Percy peeked up at him, holding the cup to his lips like Poseidon would actually believe him. "Daddy should go to bed, Daddy tired."

"Daddy is tired," Poseidon agreed, "but – "

Percy nodded quickly, his eyes lighting up, "And I should make sure you go, so silly Daddy don't fall 'sweep on the couch again."

Poseidon's lips twitched and he swallowed back a chuckle, brushing his hand over his son's forehead tenderly. Percy's wide green eyes stared back at him, the slightest tremor running through his slight frame at another crash of thunder. Poseidon continued to gently run his fingers through the child's hair, his heart swelling with affection for this loving little miscreant.