i'm getting used to waking up slower

Disclaimer: I do not own the book nor do i own this one shot. (by RMarie124 on ao3).

takes place after The Chalice of the Gods

______

___♪___

______

When Percy was seventeen, his mom told him that the Montauk cabin was always going to be his. She'd said it to him in hushed tones in the kitchen of their apartment while Paul and Annabeth were deep in a discussion about Jane Eyre. He'd been stunned, but it had also made him feel like what he'd imagined while fighting Gary was actually going to come true. Him, Annabeth, and Grover, living together and growing old in a cabin by the coast.

"Of course it's yours, Percy." His mom had said. "But now it's yours on one condition."

"You sound like the Gods, mom." Percy had mumbled, which thankfully his mom had only laughed at.

"You go to college and graduate. Go and live your life with Annabeth for a few years after that. Get your own place, get established in your careers. Then, when you're ready, it's all yours." She smiled at him. "Deal?"

Percy hadn't even hesitated. "Deal."

Now, at thirty-five, he stood in front of the cabin, one hand holding Annabeth's, the other holding the keys. The sea was calm, waves gently lapping at the shore, shining a brilliant blue.

"I can't believe it's ours." Annabeth breathed. "This is...it's perfect."

Percy squeezed her hand. "Yeah, it is."

"Well, are you going to open the door or not, Seaweed Brain?"

Twenty-three years she'd been calling him that, and it never got old.

Percy walked up to the door, slid the key in the lock, and pushed it open. The creaking of the door was familiar, the slight give of the wooden stairs comforting. It seemed like his mom and Paul had come through before he and Annabeth had, because there wasn't a speck of dust.

There was also a plate of blue cookies on the counter, covered in plastic wrap with a note attached to it.

"Annabeth, Percy," Annabeth read out. Out of the two of them, she had a better handle on her dyslexia. "Paul and I stocked the fridge and cleaned up. Before you call me to tell me that you can take care of your own groceries, accept that your mother still wants to look after you from time to time. Enjoy the cookies. Here's to new beginnings! Love, mom."

"But...we can take care of our own groceries." Percy said.

Annabeth gave him a look. "Accept the nice gesture from your mom, Percy. Do you want a cookie?"

Percy gave her a look that said do you even know who you're talking to right now? Of course I want a cookie. She laughed. He loved the sound.