Chapter Seventeen: Reassurance

*Copyright: All Rights Reserved, Stephanie Myrick, 2024. Posted to Wattpad ONLY*

Antonia got home twenty minutes later after stopping to get Dallas's favourite cheat meal from The Boston Burger Company, an Inferno Burger with coleslaw on the side and The King Freakfrappe and an order of Mumbo boneless wings and Garlic Parm fries with a Strawberry Shortcake Freakfrappe for herself. She would probably regret not getting her run in the next day, but she wanted Dallas to be in a good mood and a bit of a food coma when she told him about Maverick.

She didn't think he'd be upset or jealous; he was too confident in himself to be insecure, but the fact that she hid that she dated him might be a problem. For someone who had most likely been hiding a whole other life from her, he didn't like it when she wasn't upfront with him. She pulled into her assigned space next to Dallas's truck, grabbed the bags of food and went inside. "Hey! I'm home!" She called as she walked in. "I have food."

"Oh, thank god, I'm starved." Dallas came out from the hall, grinning widely. "How was your day?" He kissed her cheek and took the bags from her. "How did you know I was craving Boston Burger Company?"

"Busy. But it was the first day of the sale, so we were expecting it." She chuckled and shrugged out of her jacket. "I didn't know you were craving it; I wanted to put you in a good mood."

"Oh?" Dallas raised his eyebrow as he pulled the food out of the bags and set it on the table. "What did you do?"

"I didn't do anything bad, not really." She smiled at him and got a couple of glasses of water for them. "I didn't tell you something because I didn't think it would matter, but some things have changed, and now you need to know."

"Right." He nodded and sat down, waiting for her to do the same before he started eating. Antonia watched him for a minute. He had perfect table manners; it was something she had admired about him before, and now she wondered if it was part of his public mask. When he swallowed a mouthful of burger, he looked at her expectantly. "So what is it?"

"Do you remember me mentioning a Maverick?" She ate a fry and watched his face carefully.

"Yeah, Raven and Jynx's triplet, right?" He didn't blink; he just kept eating as she nodded. "What about him?"

"He's back in town and helping out with the store." She swallowed and took a drink of water. "So I want to be transparent that he was the one I dated in high school."

"The first love who broke your heart?" Dallas set down his burger in surprise. "That guy?"

"Yeah, that guy." She nodded. "Obviously, I'm not interested in reigniting anything romantic 'cause I have you." She reached out and wiped some sauce from the corner of his mouth. "But I would like to be friends with him again."

He caught her hand and licked the sauce off her thumb with a grin. "Sure. I can understand that. But you know you don't need my permission to be friends with someone."

"No, but there's just a different dynamic with Maverick, that's all. I wanted to be open about it."

"Thank you." He kissed the back of her hand. "I'm looking forward to meeting him." A loud BANG! From the bedroom made them both jump and turn to the hall. "You heard it that time, right?" He got up and stormed down the hall, and Antonia pulled out her phone and opened the group chat with Raven and Jynx.

A warning would be nice next time.

Jynx🍀: 🤣Sorry!

It's hard for me to pretend I don't hear things if I jump lol

She shook her head, closed the chat, and followed Dallas down the hall. "What was it?"