Chapter Five: Maverick

**This is my original copyrighted work. I will only post on Wattpad. Do not copy or repost to any other apps. If you find this story on another app, please let me know so I can have it taken down. Whoever is stealing my stories, please kindly get a life. There are plenty of AI chatbots out there that can write stories for you if you aren't creative enough to come up with your own.**

Maverick Silva glanced up as his sister walked into his office and stood up to hug her. "Hey Jynx, what's going on? You were pretty cryptic on the phone." She hugged him tightly and then pointed at a chair.

"Can I sit?"

"Yeah, of course." Maverick sat across from her and watched as she took a seat. His sister was positively beaming with excitement and joy. "I'm gonna go with it's good news?"

"Well, sort of? I mean, it sucks, but at the same time, I'm happy about it, so take from that what you will." She made herself comfortable. "Have you got anything pressing you're looking into right now?"

"Just finished up a case. Why?" He raised an eyebrow. "You need me to look into something?"

"Not me." She looked around curiously, taking in everything. "I think this is the first time I've been in here. You should let me decorate for you. I'm not sure if you're aware, but it's not the 1920's, and you're not Dick Tracey."

Maverick rolled his eyes. He loved his sister, but she was a brat sometimes. "I'll think about it." His office wasn't that bad. Or maybe it was; he didn't care. It had what he needed to do his job. "What's going on?"

"You seeing anyone?" She stood up again and walked around, looking at the few things he had on the walls. "What colour would you call this? Is it a brown or a green?" She gestured at the carpet in apparent disgust. "How do you get people to hire you?"

"Mostly through email, and then I meet them at their house or in a coffee shop. Stop stalling and spit out why you're here." Maverick folded his arms and watched her through narrowed eyes. She had trouble sitting still and staying on topic when she was excited, and the last time he saw her this excited was when they got a kitten when they were twelve. "And no, I'm not seeing anyone."

"Dallas cheated on Antonia with Nola." She said absently as she inspected his desk. "I'm definitely going to redecorate this place." She took out her phone and began taking pictures. "Do you have a measuring tape?"

"I'm sorry, what?" He raised his eyebrow. Nothing shocked him when it came to infidelity anymore. He had seen everything, so hearing his ex's fiance slept with her younger sister wasn't as shocking as it could have been. "How's Toni?"

"Taking it shockingly calmly." Jynx was digging in her purse as she spoke. "Nevermind! I have one." She pulled out a rolled-up vinyl measuring tape used in sewing and began to take measurements of the space. "How many square feet is this place?"

"Jynx!" He snapped. "One thing at a time! Tell me what's going on with Toni!"

She huffed out a dramatic sigh and came to sit on the chair again. "Toni grabbed Dallas's tablet by mistake this morning and saw Nola was messaging him. She read the messages and found out they fucked. He's since cut it off and isn't responding to Nola anymore, although she keeps messaging him. Raven and I think he's cheated a few times in their relationship because every three or four months, he works a bunch of overtime and then buys her jewelry as an apology. Most recently, he bought her a diamond pendant and giving it to her lines up with him screwing around with Nola. We told her our theory, and she wants to know if we're right."

"And she agreed to let me look into it for her?" Maverick's heart began to pound. He'd give anything to have her back in his life, even if it were just as a friend or to make the holidays easier.