Chapter Ten: Revelations

**This is my original copyrighted work. I will only post on Wattpad. Do not copy or repost to any other apps. If you find this story on another app, please let me know so I can have it taken down. Whoever is stealing my stories, please kindly get a life. There are plenty of AI chatbots out there that can write stories for you if you aren't creative enough to come up with your own.**

Maverick pulled up to Fire Station Two and got out of his car. It was quiet, and the door to the engine bay was up, with no truck. Thanking his lucky stars, he left Watson in the backseat and went inside. An elderly woman with lavender hair was sitting behind a low counter, clicking away at the computer. "There's no one here, dear; they had a call."

"That's okay. If you're Felicia, then I'm here to see you anyway." Maverick walked up and leaned on the counter. Glancing at the screen, he saw she was playing solitaire and smiled as she quickly closed it.

"I'm Felicia." She stood up and smoothed her dress. "How can I help you?"

"Well, I'm not sure if you can. I need a small favour."

"Do we know each other?" She was eyeing him suspiciously now, and Maverick shook his head, still smiling.

"No, ma'am, we don't. I'm here on behalf of a friend, and I just need a small favour." He reached into his pocket and pulled out the list of dates Antonia and Raven gave him. "I was wondering if you could tell me if there was overtime on these dates."

She pulled out a pair of cat's eyeglasses and took the paper, looking them over carefully, then looked at him for a long minute. "Your friend about to get married?"

He nodded. "She is. Late December."

"Right. Give me a second." She turned to the computer and tapped around. "No, there wasn't any overtime offered here. But that doesn't mean it wasn't offered at other stations." She handed him the list back.

"What do you mean?" Maverick took the list and put it back in his pocket.

"Overtime has to be offered to the station it's originating in first; if no one takes it, it can be sent out to the other stations, but it is super rare for it to happen. Double time is hard for the guys to turn down." She pursed her lips for a second, then seemed to make up her mind. "The first date is shortly before I started here. I think you should talk to the receptionist who worked here before me. She might be able to give you more insight into the overtime issue."

"Really?" Maverick paused. He had a feeling Felicia was not as naive and dumb as she made people believe. "What's her name?"

"Abby Rose." She leaned forward and dropped her voice despite the station being empty. "There was a lot of drama when she was fired, and the first date on your list was about when the drama started. Or so she told me."

"Huh." He tapped his fingers on the counter. "Thanks, I'll look into that." He paused and reached into his pocket, pulled out his card and handed it over. "If you can think of anything else, or maybe if you're bored later on and can check further into those dates, I would be very appreciative."

"I might find some time over the next few days." She nodded and reached into her purse, pulling out a card and sliding it back. "And you can get in touch if you have any more questions." Maverick took the card and put it in his pocket.

"Thanks, I will."

Out in his car, he pulled out the card. "Kitty Fontaine, PI." He murmured as he read it. "Now that's interesting." He tucked the card into the visor and looked up the office hours for Rose Dental, then turned to Watson in the back seat. "Let's go kill some time at the dog park."