"Do not say that." Her mother cupped her face. "I will never regret you or your brothers."

"Maybe you should." Even while they had not done anything, they were a stain on her character. "You cannot deny your life would be easier if we were not here or if we looked different."

Her mother gave her a sad look and opened her mouth, but before she could say anything Lorent Marbrand appeared. "Good morrow, princess."

Her mother let go of her and turned to face the man. "Good morrow, Ser Lorent."

The man gave her a short nod. "Princess Rhaenys had just arrived on dragon back. She urgently requests an audience with you and Prince Daemon."

Whatever sense of doom Darya had been feeling was about to become a reality. Whatever the princess had to say would change their lives forever. Her mother sent for Daemon, who joined them a few minutes later before Princess Rhaenys was led in.

"Princess Rhaenys." Her mother did not seem to notice anything was amiss. "Might we hope for news of Lord Corlys's recovery?"

"Viserys is dead." The princess did not mince words and Darya saw her mother jerk like someone had just hit her. Daemon had been staring at the fireplace and immediately turned around. "I grieve his loss with you, Rhaenyra. My cousin, your father possessed a kind heart." Her mother did not seem able to speak or do much of anything as Rhaenys moved closer to her. "There is more. Aegon has been crowned as his successor."

Darya hurried to her mother when she whimpered and grabbed her belly.

"They crowned him?" Her mother sounded confused like she did not want to believe it.

Daemon moved closer to them. "How did Viserys die?"

"I could not say." The princess's voice was still calm.

Her mother looked at Rhaenys. "How long ago?"

The princess cleared her throat. "A day past, perhaps two. I was made a prisoner in my quarters while the queen made her preparations."

"Viserys has been slain," Daemon said while looking at her mother.

Rhaenyra did not seem to hear him. "Alicent demanded you declare for Aegon."

"She did." The princess answered, even while her mother had not phrased it like a question. "I refused her."

Daemon did not look convinced. "And yet you are alive."

"The High Septon crowned Aegon in the Dragonpit." Rhaenys did not raise to the bait. "I witnessed it myself just before I fled on Meleys."

Her mother still had not reacted. "They crowned him before the masses."

"So that the masses would see him as their rightful king." Rhaenys finished her mother's thought.

"That whore of a queen murdered my brother and stole his throne." Daemon was seething and his anger turned to Rhaenys. "And you could have burned them all for it."

"A war is likely to be fought over this treachery, to be sure." Rhaenys refused to engage with Daemon in anger. "But that war is not mine to begin. I only rushed to warn you out of loyalty to my husband and to my house. The greens are coming for you, Rhaenyra." Rhaenys turned and stared directly at Darya. "And for your children. You should leave Dragonstone at once."

Rhaenys walked away, leaving all of them in shock and her mother gasped in pain. She doubled over and her hands went under the skirts of her gown, coming away bright red with blood. Darya knew it was too early for the babe to live, her mother and stepfather would be devastated. The war had just started.