16: squandering time

❥ミ★✫彡✰

______________________❥ミ★✫彡✰

❥ミ★✫彡✰

It had been a day since your encounter with Scaramouche and Ashley.

You were currently on your bed, looking at the ceiling. You were turning over the events of the past day— and farther down your lifetime— in your head, evaluating and calculating what you could've said or done that would've affected the outcome of where you were right now.

...it was kind of a problem that you had, but hey, at least when something close to what had happened today happened again, you would be prepared.

Alas, nothing could really prepare humans such as yourself for anything, and it was hardly your kinds fault. Humans were simply not meant to be perfect, but whoever had made your kind and had tangled you up in the red strings of fate had decided that humans should think that they should be perfect, when in reality, nothing was perfect.

Even what appeared to be the most symmetrical and articulate creation ever would never be the same if the creator made it over and over and over again.

But since humans wanted everything to be perfect all the time, they were always left unsatisfied. They just couldn't accept that nothing was perfect. Even if they knew and thought that they acknowledged it, there would always be something nagging at the back of their mind. This wasn't right, that wasn't enough on the left, something on that persons face bothered them.

Want is a dangerous thing. Its a thirst, and while it was a natural one, just like the thirst for water that everyone has experienced, it could never be quenched. In fact, giving into it would just leave you wanting more, and more, and more, and the cycle continues.

Yet another imperfection that their creator had given them.

There were many imperfections in the human race. For example, they could die. It's quite easy for humans like yourself to die. Fall down a nice long pit and splatter into nothing at the bottom, have someone else drain their own life away while laughing in their face, take their life by one's own hand, there were a multitude of ways one could end their existence on teyvat.

It made you wonder, if you could die so easily, and still leave barely any imprint on the history of the world, what was even the point of being alive? In the grand scheme of things, you didn't matter. Nobody really mattered. Time wouldn't stop for anyone, nor would it move faster.
But life has its own special little things, like making others happy, and helping loved ones! Which reminded you, you needed to send some of your salary to b/n.

You and him didn't part on the best terms, with him wanting you to not go in the Fatui and you insisting that it was for the best. After a while you had sent a letter to him and he had responded, seemingly back to normal. Neither of you had apologized, but you were okay.

He had seemed less than thrilled about your new position, but you were sure once he saw how much dough you were making for babysitting the 6th harbinger he would change his mind. You reached for the bag of mora sitting on your desk from when you had gotten payed once you got to the HQ, and you shook it a bit to hear the mora make clinking noise.

You sat there for a bit, taking out some mora to just look at it. Mora had been scarce when you were raised, and you were pretty sure that was the most you had ever had at once. At least in front of you, you still had a savings account in case of emergency's.

You reached for some spare paper on your desk, and pulled out a pen. You were just about to put the pen to paper when you heard a knock on your door. You jumped and dropped the pen, resulting in the paper ripping a bit. You sighed and got up to answer the door.

"What is it, I was doing—" you cut off as you saw Scaramouches irritated face, a sight you had become accustomed to. Could he ever be happy— not at someone else's expense?

"—ooh. Hi, Lord Scaramouche!" You said with a happy wave.

"Hello, Y/n. I have something to show you." He said, his voice blank, as if he was hiding an emotion.

Why the fuck does he sound like that.

You thought, wondering what on earth could have happened to make him sound so civilized. You took a few seconds to look at his expression more closely. It looked...off. His eyes looked less stormy, like how they were usually. He looked... almost excited. But like he was trying to hide it, or deny that the excitement was there.

"Um.. what is it? Are you— uh, are you okay?" You said, tilting your head at him.

"Huh? Oh yeah, I'm fine. More than fine." He said, smirking at you. It wasn't friendly, in fact it was the opposite.

"Oooookaay..." you said cautiously. What was up with him? You smirked back at him after an idea popped into your head.

"Where are we even going? On a date? Did you miss me that much?" You said, poking at the harbinger.
He let out a condescending laugh, shaking his head.

"Ha! No. But I do think you'll love this. So come."

You blinked, and looked at what you were wearing. You weren't in your pyjamas, (you didn't wear pyjamas that often anyways) but it was safe to say, it wasn't the uniform.

"I have to get dressed first, don't I?"

Scaramouche looked you up and down and raised an eyebrow in a way that made you want to slap him.

"Only if you let me watch."

You paused for a second as that processed in your mind.

"WHAT???" You squealed, jumping back and covering your open mouth with a hand.

Scaramouche chuckled, and waved a hand. "Joking, Joking." He pushed you aside to go into your room, leaving you wondering whether he was actually joking.

"Uh— Scaramouche?" You said, turning around to see him sitting on your bed.

"Lord Scaramouche." He corrected you.

"Riiight. Lord Scaramouche."

You stood there, looking very confused about the whole situation, and he sighed at how lost you seemed.

"What, did you think I was going to wait at your door like a lost puppy while you got dressed? You have a bathroom, use it."

You let out a small 'ooh' and went to grab your clothes. You pursed your lips as you thought back to his earlier words.

That was really weird, and very concerning. I never pegged him as a pervert, but hey, he's a harbinger, there's no limits for them. Also, is it just me, or is he nicer than usual today?

You looked back over at the amethyst haired man, and opened your bathroom door cautiously.

"Okay. Umm. No peeking."

Was it just you, or did you hear another laugh as you closed the door?