13: A plethora of apples

❥ミ★✫彡✰

______________________

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

______________________

❥ミ★✫彡✰

Ashley had silently lead you to an ominous locked room, and she brought out a key to open the door.

"What would you like to eat, my lady?"

Ashley asked politely, once inside the room, bowing a bit. You tilted your head, wondering what you had done to deserve such respect. Or fear, that could also be a factor in why you were getting treated so well by someone you barely knew.

"Well... What do you guys have for food?" You asked, glancing around the orderly storage room. There were mostly brown boxes laid around on shelves, and a few metal boxes that were locked shut that you assumed had more important items in them.

"Um... we have some, erm, apples, fruit. And chocolate. And frozen steak..?" Ashley said, seeming ashamed of the fact that she didn't know everything that was in the huge storage room.

"I'll have a couple apples I guess. I'm not that hungry, so I'll save one for later." You said, deciding to not whine over the limited food supply. Most of the good stuff was probably off limits to anyone but the harbingers. The chocolate sounded nice, but sugar probably wasn't the best thing to have at night.

"Okay my lady! I'll go and get that right away."

You sat down on one of the metal boxes as she scurried off to go and find it, and you looked around the room. It was a decently sized area, you hoped that Ashley wouldn't get lost. It would be a shame if she never came back, cause you sure as hell weren't going after her to just get lost yourself.

The fact that you weren't willing to was probably a sign that your moral compass was shrinking. Whether this was a good or bad thing, you didn't know.

You liked Ashley, but something about her seemed a bit off. It must be the fact that she wore a mask all the time—You had to when you were lower in the ranks —personal assistants weren't required to wear them, as they had a long history of running away from their positions, and it was easier to find them (to kill) if the Fatui knew their faces.

Thinking about the people who had died in the same job that you were in made the deafening silence seem to crowd in on you, making you feel like you had to get out of the somewhat cramped, dark space. You settled on tapping your leg anxiously instead of running out of the room.

You jumped a bit when you felt a hand on your shoulder, and you unfortunately didn't realize that it was Ashley until you slapped her in the face, not as hard as you could— thank the Archons. (Slapping strangers was a defense mechanism from being in a hated organization which turned out to be handy sometimes. Now was not one of those times) You stared at each other awkwardly for a few seconds before you lowered your hand slowly.

"...Ashleeey! Hows it goingg?" You said in a fake sweet voice that almost sounded manic. You frowned and switched back to your normal voice when she flinched and looked away from you. "Sorry, I didn't know that you were coming up behind me. Are you okay? I'm really sorry.."

Ashley held a hand up to her cheek and pursed her lips.

Is she crying? Oh dear god I hope not, i feel bad already.

"It's fine my lady, lm sorry for sneaking up on you."

Thankfully her voice was clear, and you relaxed a bit at her words. You were an idiot for assuming that someone who worked rather closely under the harbingers would cry at a simple slap. Knowing that didn't make the acid in your stomach go away, but whatever.

"Don't apologize, it was rude of me— more than rude— to slap you like that." You replied, tried to make it known to her that you don't slap random strangers for fun.

"Thank you. Um, here's your apples, my lady." She said, bowing while handing a bowl of apples to you. You deadpanned at her, wondering what made her think that you were some sort of Apple enthusiast who could eat 30 apples.

"Oh! I.. only need one... but like, thanks?" You said, cringing in second-hand embarrassment as her face grew red.

"Yes! I knew, but I wanted to, uh, let you have a selection!"

You side eyed her, praying to the archons that she wasn't actually stupid.

"Thanks, I'll be... taking my leave now."

❥ミ★✫彡✰

A/N 

RAGGHG THIS CHAPTER IS SO SHORT BUT I NEED TO GET IT OUT FORGIVE ME 🫃

I may or may not be posting shorter chapters regularly cause motivation said bye (I got hyperfixated on undertale and hazbin hotel 😻)