12: Ashley

❥ミ★✫彡✰

______________________

❥ミ★✫彡✰

It was a peaceful day in the harbinger headquarters, the sun was brightly shining through the delicate stained glass windows, the only sound that could be heard in the peaceful atmosphere was the chirping of the early morning birds.

If only your day could've started that way, but oh well.

The first sound you woke up to in the middle of the night was a shrill scream that was mysteriously cut off towards the end.

"GAH WHAT THE FU— oh it must be a lab rat."

You said, forgetting where you were as you woke up in your groggy state. For a spilt second you were wondering whether all the poor souls you've aided in killing had come after you for vengeance, but luckily dottore existed, and the souls were more likely to go after him then you. he would be a useful shield against people out for vengeance, you figured.

At least yesterday had been scaramouche-free, even if it had come with the price of being with the flirty 11th harbinger. You liked Tartaglia, but not in that way. He was charming and handsome but not really your type.

What even was your type? You had never really dated anyone in your teen and child years, and when you were an adult you had been too busy with the Fatui to even think about that kind of stuff.

Deviating from that, since Scaramouche had disappeared to who knows where, and you had woken up in the middle of the night (thanks, lab rat) you really had no clue what to do.

It was then when you realized how dependent you were on the Fatui to fill your time, and now you were kind of lost on what to do with your free time.

If you were in a normal environment— aka not the harbinger headquarters and somewhere in a tent— you probably would've tried to go back to sleep, but you could practically feel the pain and suffering leaking through the walls. There was no way in the name of the archons that you could possibly go back to sleep. You could, however, lie down on your surprisingly comfortable bed and stare at the boring surroundings for a while.

I wonder where Scaramouche went. I guess he really did have something to deal with, I haven't seen him around at all.

Hey, maybe he's doing his own paperwork! You thought, smiling half heartedly. You turned your gaze to the only window in your room, that was showcasing the pretty stars.

Hopefully he'll get back soon.. you sighed and admired the stars for a few seconds before you processed what you had thought.

Your eyes widened at your traitorous thoughts and you bolted upwards as if checking if anyone had heard your thoughts. You buried your face in your hands and groaned.

"Argh.. I didn't mean that, I swear!" You rubbed your temple and closed your eyes, your mind scrambling for a way to justify your thoughts. I mean, I hope— no I don't hope— I swear I don't hope, but I'm bored! Right, I'm bored, I've been doing goddamn paperwork for so long that I can't find anything else to do!

You sighed and swung your legs out of the bed, shaking off the covers as you sat up.

I should probably look for something to take my mind off things. Keep these... interesting and sightly disturbing thoughts away.

You did a quick once over your appearance, and thankfully your plain blue pyjamas didn't disappoint, and they looked like normal enough clothes for citizens.

...You still changed into your Fatui uniform. Hey, you felt more comfortable walking around a Fatui establishment with your Fatui uniform.

You peeked out the hallway, double checking if anyone was there.

This was a mistake, you knew that, but honestly you were in need of some stimuli, and walking around the Fatui headquarters at night was a huge adrenaline pumper.

Also, maybe the screams were from night terrors! Your brother had those frequently when you were younger, and it had scared the living shit out of you. At least you knew how to deal with them now, not that you had gotten close enough to anyone who had night terrors but your brother.

You took a deep breath and forced your legs to move into the hall. You figured that some food would help you keep your mind off you, but the problem was that you couldn't remember where the bar Tartaglia had taken you to was, and you couldn't afford the prices there anyways.

So, that meant you were going to be wandering around again. With no purpose. In the same building that Il Dottore was also in. Getting in trouble was a very possible outcome.

It should be fine! You thought, smiling at your idiocy. At least you were self-aware.

Maybe you'd run into Tartaglia again and he'd give you more free food.

❥ミ★✫彡✰

The silence in the hallway was almost eerie, with the way it seemed to fill the air and the humming white noise in the background.

"...Miss L/n?"

The uncomfortable silence was disturbed, but to the cost of your soul leaving your body and floating off somewhere else.

You jumped and turned around, realizing that it was thankfully just a Fatui worker.

A rather familiar one in fact, where had you seen her before..?

Ah, right, she was the assistant from Scaramouches estate! What was her name.. Ashley.

"Oh! Hello Ashley, it's nice to see you again." You said with a smile and a wave, walking closer to her so you could hear her.

"It's a pleasure to see you again too Miss L/n. Is... Is Lord Scaramouche with you?" She said, seeming to have to think before asking the question.

"Truth be told, he disappeared as soon as we got here. I'm not really sure what to do, hehe." You confessed, rubbing your neck before you realized that she might know where to get some 'cheap' food. (Aka normally priced food) If shes been here before at least, maybe this was her first time here too. "Ashley, do you have any clue where a place might be where I could get some food? Some affordable food, I mean."

"Oh, we have a storage room that's not too far away. I'm in charge of it, you could exchange some money with me for food."

She said, smiling at you. You smiled back, wondering how such a nice person had ended up in the Fatui. Sure, you weren't entirely an asshole, but you definitely weren't as trusting as Ashley. The sudden urge to keep a very close eye on the innocent soul rushed through you, and you pursed your lips, trying to keep your thoughts off your face.

"That would be awesome! Thanks, by the way. I haven't been here before, and no one thought to give me an explanation of the layout.. all of them are pompous assholes." you grumbled, rubbing the back of your neck.

Ashley giggled, and then paused like a deer in headlights. She cleared her throat and her smile dropped.

"It's my pleasure, my lady. Come, follow me."

You frowned at her sudden change in composure, but followed her walking figure anyways. Looks like you had some work to do to get Ashley to trust you. You weren't entirely sure why you wanted her to trust you, but you figured it couldn't hurt to try.

The time to build a friendship wasn't now though, you were tired and would probably say something very stupid.

So for now, you just followed her to the storage room in comfortable silence.

❥ミ★✫彡✰

______________________

❥ミ★✫彡✰

I wasn't even going to make Ashley come up anywhere else in the story but apparently the people on wattpad really liked her so,, 🤷‍♀️