Song Ling breathed a sigh of relief, gestured a thankful bow to Li Sui'an, then turned to follow Gu Xiuyi out.
Duan Ze had drunk quite a lot throughout the night, leaving Song Ling reeking of alcohol. He washed his face first, then meticulously scrubbed each finger with soap before seeking Gu Xiuyi for some fresh air.
Gu Xiuyi leaned against the service counter, elbow resting on the marble top, seemingly waiting for something. As he casually browsed his phone, the dim light accentuated his slender fingers.
Song Ling approached, asked the counter for a cup of water and some napkins, then sighed, "It's terrifying, being heartbroken is just terrifying."
Especially someone like Duan Ze, who seeks company for drinks post-breakup, is the most challenging.
According to Duan, he was the one who had clarity first, breaking things off with Lin Qing.
However, Song Ling couldn't comprehend: if Duan had truly moved on, why was he so heartbroken?
Gu Xiuyi remarked, "This is why I told you, romance is never as intriguing as work. Take it as a lesson."
As he said this, a fleeting smile crossed his face, a casual tug at the corner of his mouth. Yet, for Song Ling, alarm bells rang, sensing the oppression of a capitalist.
Talking about prioritizing work over love, yet wasn't he himself deeply in love?
This must be their tactic, persuading employees that being single is ideal, overtime leads to wealth, only to find romance themselves.
Song Ling felt anger but held back his words.
In his view, Gu Xiuyi's romantic endeavors weren't even Platonic, and certainly fell short compared to Duan Ze's.
Old Duan might have been trapped in an unrequited love, pouring his heart out to no avail, but at least he confessed his feelings, more than once. He gave it his all; it's just unfortunate he didn't find the right person, ending up drowning his sorrows deep into the night.
But what about Gu Xiuyi?
Months have passed, and he's still playing the slow game.
Song Ling pondered. Ji Ruan doesn't seem like the kind of person who'd wait forever, she's a catch - sought after by many. Isn't he worried about missing his chance?
Song Ling observed Gu Xiuyi's laid-back demeanor for a moment before finally saying, "From what I saw tonight, Ji Ruan seems to have feelings for you."
Gu Xiuyi's fingers paused, and he finally looked up, "What happened tonight?"
"...?" Song Ling blinked in surprise, his lips parting a few times, "You mean you didn't notice?"
Of course, he had. Ji Ruan's fondness for his milk, her growing dependence on him.
Gu Xiuyi was very much aware.
But Song Ling wasn't privy to all of this, suggesting there was more he might have missed.
Gu Xiuyi furrowed his brows, "What are you referring to?"
"Oh, for the love of..." Song Ling, with a look of exasperation, felt like his boss only used his brain during work hours.
"She's worried about you," Song Ling stated.
A hint of seriousness flashed across Gu Xiuyi's face.
Song Ling spread his hands, counting on his fingers, "Look, I noticed she called me earlier. It was late, close to her bedtime. Why would she call me? Obviously, she couldn't reach you and tried to get information from me. Isn't that a sign she misses you?"
Gu Xiuyi lightly tapped the table with his index finger, musing, "Go on."
"As soon as Li told her you were drunk, she came rushing over without hesitation. Even though she's been feeling under the weather lately. Why would anyone bother so late at night unless they genuinely cared for and worried about you, right?"
"So, the two of you, it's like this," he intertwined his two fingers, winking, "Both head over heels!"
Song Ling felt he had made his point clear, yet Gu Xiuyi's expression remained unchanged. He merely pursed his lips slightly, lost in thought.
Tsk, could he still be in denial?
Song Ling was deeply anxious, rubbing his fingers as he contemplated how to push the conversation forward. However, a faint twitch appeared at the corner of Gu Xiuyi's mouth.
Gu Xiuyi remained silent for a moment, a fleeting expression crossing his face, only to be masked immediately.
He covered his mouth, coughing lightly, then turned away, "Stop talking nonsense."
This was the first time Song Ling had ever heard Gu Xiuyi use even mildly coarse language.
As the light shifted, Song Ling caught a glimpse of Gu Xiuyi's half-hidden mouth curving upwards.
Taking a closer look, Gu Xiuyi's ears... his ears seemed to be tinged with red.
Boom-

A loud noise resonated in Song Ling's mind, his pupils dilating as if he'd seen something terrifying.
Was Gu Xiuyi... feeling shy?
The hell? Gu Xiuyi knew how to blush?
Was he so overwhelmed that he now understood the meaning of embarrassment?
Almost choking on his own saliva, Song Ling hurriedly reached for his drink to calm himself.
The water the waiter brought was loaded with ice. A big gulp nearly froze his teeth.
Song Ling muttered to himself, "Do they think ice is free in this bar?"
Gu Xiuyi was still slightly tilting his head, with little expression on his face, but he seemed to be immersed in some emotion, savoring something intangible.
There was a hint of amusement in his eyes.
This was too strange, utterly bizarre.
Anyone else behaving this way would be normal, but seeing such an expression on Gu Xiuyi was especially eerie.
Song Ling felt a bit overwhelmed. Rubbing his neck, he glanced around and realized they had been standing near the main desk for quite some time.
He blinked in surprise, "What brought you here?"
"He ordered something."
Without glancing at him, Gu Xiuyi idly played with the wedding ring on his ring finger, speaking in a casual tone.
Song Ling laughed in confusion, "What could be so special...?"
"Isn't the purpose of coming to a bar to drink?"
For them, no matter which drink you request, even if it's the most expensive one, they'd seemingly wish they could arrive at your side with a cart the second after you call. There's no need to approach the front desk.
"- Mr. Gu, your warm milk is ready."
The manager's professional and respectful voice resonated. Song Ling turned to see the polite smile on his face and - the steaming cup of milk on the table.
The smirk that had been playing on Song Ling's lips froze.
"What does that mean?"
"Did Gu Xiuyi come to a bar to drink milk?"
"And it's warm milk at that?!"
"Thank you, you've gone to great lengths," Gu Xiuyi said with a smile, implying that the manager would receive a generous tip.
The manager's smile deepened, bowing slightly to Gu Xiuyi's retreating figure, "It's an honor to serve you."
Song Ling turned stiffly to see Gu Xiuyi nonchalantly walking back with the milk in hand.
His voice, though soft in the spacious hall, carried a hint of boastfulness that Song Ling picked up on:
"Ji Ruan only drinks this brand of milk."

Author's Note:
Mr. Gu: He must have fallen for me. (Confident)
Ruan Ruan: ...Huh? (Bewildered)