"How are you feeling, Ruan Ruan? Better?" She walked in, placing the insulated bag she was carrying on the bedside table.
"I'm okay now," Ji Ruan lifted his face, his eyes forming crescent shapes as he smiled at Aunt Zhao, "I just feel really hungry."
"Oh, such a good boy," Aunt Zhao chuckled, unzipping the insulated bag, "I've brought food for you."
Ji Ruan's eyes immediately focused on the thermal container inside the bag, feeling as though he could already smell its delicious aroma without even opening it.
"Are you that hungry?" Aunt Zhao couldn't help but laugh at Ji Ruan's eager gaze as she took out a small bowl and ladled some content into it.
It appeared to be simple porridge, but its aroma was incredibly rich. Just the scent alone made the famished Ji Ruan's mouth water.
"The doctor said you need to eat lightly for now," Aunt Zhao handed the bowl and spoon to Ji Ruan and sat down next to him, "But I thought, plain porridge has no nutrients. Look at you, you've lost so much weight."
She covered her mouth, giggling, "So, I added some bone broth and minced meat to it. It smells wonderful, doesn't it? That's what a meal should be like!"
Eagerly, Ji Ruan took a small spoonful, blew on it to cool it down, and carefully tasted it. The rich flavors of the bone broth and minced meat permeated the rice grains. Every soft grain exploded with taste on his tongue, making Ji Ruan close his eyes in pure enjoyment.
Aunt Zhao truly is some kind of culinary goddess...
The pot of porridge was quite large; Ji Ruan couldn't possibly finish it alone. Gu Xiuyi watched Ji Ruan's delicate and satisfied eating manner and exchanged glances with Aunt Zhao.
Aunt Zhao got the hint. She took two more bowls from the bag and ladled the porridge into them, turning Ji Ruan's patient meal into lunch for all three.
In the past, when Ji Ruan was severely ill, he had to strictly control his diet, eating only tasteless meals every day.
Back then, eating was never a joy for Ji Ruan. The food tasted like wax in his mouth, and often he'd throw it up due to stomach pain.
On his slightly better days, friends would visit with barbecued skewers and spicy hot pot; they would feast while Ji Ruan sipped his plain porridge in bed.
Those times were truly agonizing. Seeing Gu Xiuyi now, sharing the porridge with him, and the cheerful Aunt Zhao, Ji Ruan felt as if he was in another lifetime, sentimentally thinking it was some kind of belated comfort.
After lunch, Ji Ruan took a nap. This slumber was particularly blissful, with warmth in his stomach and heart, even gracing him with a pleasant dream.
In a half-dreaming state, it felt like someone touched his ear, a palm covering it, much warmer than Ji Ruan's own temperature, and a familiar touch.
That person was very close, so close that Ji Ruan could feel their breath tickling his earlobe. They whispered something, but he couldn't make it out.
"Little Ruan... Ruan... wake up."
After what felt like a long time, a gentle pat on his shoulder stirred him. Ji Ruan groggily opened his eyes to see Aunt Zhao's smiling eyes.
"Oh, you were sleeping so soundly," Aunt Zhao teased, rubbing his face with the back of her hand, "Your cheeks are all flushed. Did you have a sweet dream, Little Ruan?"
Ji Ruan shyly burrowed into the blanket, "I don't really remember..."
"Haha, don't be shy. Come on, get up," Aunt Zhao brushed Ji Ruan's hair back, "Time to go home and celebrate the Mid-Autumn Festival."
After that nap, Ji Ruan's fever had completely subsided, and the IV needle on his hand had been removed at some point.
He got up, washed up as Aunt Zhao suggested, and upon returning from the bathroom felt something was amiss and looked around.
Aunt Zhao was packing his clothes and said, "Looking for Gu? He went back to work."
"Working again?" Ji Ruan was surprised, "But the Mid-Autumn Festival is just around the corner!"
Handing the packed clothes to Ji Ruan, Aunt Zhao sighed, "Indeed. But he's never been much for celebrating holidays. I thought he might stay since you're home this year, but he's still busy."
"I see..." Ji Ruan slowly sat down on the edge of the bed.
"No worries," Aunt Zhao chuckled, "We'll celebrate even if he's not here. What a pity, though-tomorrow is his birthday. I wonder if he'll be back..."
"Birthday?" Ji Ruan paused, holding the clothes, "Is he not coming back for his birthday tomorrow?"
Aunt Zhao sighed, "It's hard to say. His birthday coincides with the Mid-Autumn Festival this year. Such a special day! I initially planned to make longevity noodles for him."
Ji Ruan hung his head, fingers absentmindedly pinching his lower lip, his eyelashes fluttering, reminiscent of a contemplative porcelain doll.
Aunt Zhao found his demeanor amusing and tilted her head to observe him, "What's on your mind, Ruan?"
"Huh?" Ji Ruan snapped back to reality, releasing his lip and licked it, "I was just thinking about what gift to prepare."
Aunt Zhao's eyes sparkled with mirth, "When it comes to gifts, it's the thought that counts. He'll appreciate whatever you give."
She picked up her bag, "Alright, I'll step out. Once you're dressed, we'll head home, okay?"
"Okay," Ji Ruan nodded.
After the door closed, Ji Ruan didn't immediately change his clothes. Instead, he remained seated on the bed, looking quite troubled.