Chapter 20 - Scarlett

Start from the beginning

"Drink," I heard Blaze's voice breaking my reverie. My gaze moved from the glass in front of me to him and then to the entire club. I watched as people swayed on the dance floor, couples lost themselves in each other's arms, and dancers performed intricate moves at the dancing pole.

One woman, a striking blonde dressed in a sleek black lace bodysuit, performed impressive maneuvers around the metal pole, drawing the attention of a crowd of onlookers.

As soon as I saw her, I knew who she was. She was a celebrated and well-known dancer, an inspiration for many women. I marveled at her poise and skill, but I don't think I could have matched what she had achieved. The risks of her profession were too great.

My thoughts soon returned to Blaze, who continued to observe me silently. Without a word, he pushed the drink closer to me, leaving the choice up to me.

After a brief moment of contemplation, I thought maybe Blaze was right. With no other obligations for the remainder of the evening, I quickly finished my drink, mirroring Blaze's actions. The liquid had a soothing effect, as if it eased my sense of isolation. I set the now empty glass gently on the counter and turned my attention back to Blaze, who wore that enigmatic smile I found curiously appealing. He motioned for the bartender to bring another round and we both promptly consumed our drinks.

Time seemed to slip through my fingers as we lingered at the bar, taking shot after shot without exchanging a word.

The flavor of the alcohol had transformed into something unexpectedly pleasurable, and I relished the sensation as it slid down my throat with each swallow. A soothing heat spread throughout my body, dissolving the weight of the day. As the alcohol's effects took hold, a grin formed on my face, and I felt more and more at ease. Anticipation coursed through me as I raised the glass to my lips once again, savoring the exquisite taste that filled my senses and brought a rush of euphoria.

Blaze continued to order row after row, each drink offering satisfaction and delight.

The song "Inside" by Mobiius roared through the speakers, drowning out Blaze's words and making me strain to understand him. The music in this club was impressive, unlike anything I'd ever experienced before, but I'd only been to one place like this since I graduated college.

"What?" I asked, my vision blurring as I tried to focus on it.

Blaze stayed quiet, opting to retrieve his cigarette case from the back pocket of his jeans. I was taken aback when I noticed that instead of his usual pack, he had a different kind of cigarette. It made sense, though; keeping it in his pocket prevented him from crushing them if he sat down and forgot about them. Without hesitation, he used his fire abilities to light up the cigarette. It didn't take me long to realize that he had no qualms about smoking marijuana in public places.

"Inside?" I asked him curiously, knowing full well that most clubs didn't allow it.

The scent of smoke wafted towards me, filling my nostrils. I realized it was probably time for me to go, especially since I had finally calmed down. However, Blaze beat me to the punch and handed me the joint.

"I appreciate the offer, but I'll have to pass," I said.

"It'll make you feel a lot better. It's top quality; I made sure of that," he urged me.

My hand shook as I reached for the cigarette. I brought it to my lips and took a deep drag, letting the smoke fill my lungs. Gradually, a feeling of disorientation and fogginess began to wash over me - exactly what I was looking for. My mouth felt dry, my eyes slightly narrowed, and my perception of time seemed to waver. I felt like I was drifting in a state of deep calm and contentment.