Chapter XII

The next day, following his conversation with Draken, Mikey, Kol and Amalie, Takemichi had finally secured the date he desired with Hinata. As they watched the enchanting fireworks together, Takemichi contemplated that holding Hinata's hand would be the perfect way to experience the beauty of the lights. However, his romantic intentions went awry when, much like a Cinderella at midnight, he mistakenly grasped Naoto's hand—Hinata's younger brother.

In an inadvertent twist of fate, Takemichi prematurely concluded his own date, catapulting him back to the future. He awoke with a scream, desperately yearning to return.

Naoto, now a detective in the future, turned toward Takemichi and greeted him with a smile," Takemichi-kun ! You're awake ?".

" Darn it, I really did come back !". Takemichi lamented, frustration evident in his tears.

Naoto sweatdropped, regarding him with a deadpan expression," Huh ? You're sad about it ?".

Ignoring Takemichi's emotional outburst, Naoto eagerly continued," So, that means you went to the past, right ?! Shaking hands really is the trigger ! My hypothesis was correct after all !".

Takemichi, still frustrated, confirmed," Yeah, yeah. Sure was".

" And you came back ! I understand now... So that's 'everything.' How about on your end ? Since you're back, that means you made progress, right ?!". Naoto inquired with excitement.

Takemichi sweatdropped before recounting the events that led to his return to the future.

" You took my hand by accident ?!". Naoto repeated in disbelief.

Blushing, Takemichi redirected the conversation," Man, Hina sure is cute. Those fireworks were so beautiful".

" What are you talking about, Takemichi-kun ?!". Naoto demanded, annoyed.

After regaining his composure, Naoto took a seat across from Takemichi, prepared to divulge his discoveries.

" Here's what I've uncovered with that second time leap, Takemichi-kun. While you're in the past, the entire time, you exist in a state akin to death. It's as if your soul has vacated your body". Naoto explained.

Takemichi's eyes widened," Huh ? So, I was dead ?".

Naoto, now on his feet, illustrated his point by sketching a schematic on the whiteboard behind him," Your time-leaping ability transports you back 12 years to the same day. For instance, if you were to leap into the past today, you'd find yourself on this exact day from 12 years ago".

 For instance, if you were to leap into the past today, you'd find yourself on this exact day from 12 years ago"

" If you spend a week in the past and return to the present, a week will have transpired in the present as well. In other words, during that week in the past, your consciousness occupies that timeframe, leaving an empty vessel in the present". Naoto continued.

Takemichi nodded in realization," Oh... So that's why I'm in a death-like state".

Naoto affirmed," Yes. Henceforth, you'll time-leap from my room. It's perilous otherwise".