Vaemond, the queen, and the hand looked like someone had just died. Darya should have known her mother would speak to Rhaenys and offer an alliance to get true Velaryon blood on the throne.

"Well, the matter is settled, again." The king said happily, ignoring the angry faces around him. "I hearty reaffirm Prince Joffrey of House Velaryon as heir to Driftmark, the Driftwood Throne, and the next Lord of the Tides."

As much as everyone wanted that to be the end of it, Darya knew that it would not be. Vaemon's face was a dark cloud as he glared at Rhaenys before glaring at the king. Vaemond did not let her down, his words leaving his mouth in an angry tone.

"You break the law and centuries of tradition to install your daughter as heir." The man moved to where Princess Rhaenys had been before and glared at the king. "Yet you dare tell me who deserves to inherit the name Velaryon. No. I will not allow it."

"Allow it?" Her grandsire did not look too concerned. "Do not forget yourself, Vaemond."

Her grandsire's words truly angered the man, who turned to them and pointed at Joffrey, who pressed closer to her.

"THAT IS NO TRUE VELARYON!" He turned back to the king with a hateful look on his face. "And certainly no nephew of mine."

"Go to your chambers." Her mother looked at all three of them, before turning to Vaemond. "You have said enough."

Darya's hand went to the aquamarine stone hanging from her neck, playing with it and watching the show. She knew things would be getting bloody soon enough.

"Joffrey is my true-born grandson." Her grandsire was not backing down, when he committed to something there was no going back. "And you are no more than the second son of Driftmark."

Vaemond did not seem to appreciate how close he was to losing his head.

"You may run your house as you see fit, but you will not decide the future of mine." The man's hateful words echoed around the room. "My house survived the Doom and a thousand tribulations besides. And Gods be damned, I will not see it ended on the account of this..."

Vaemond seemed to lose his nerve and his mouth tightened, the word was left unsaid, but it could still be heard. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Daemon give the man a look that promised chaos.

Daemon's voice was so soft, that she could barely hear it. "Say it."

The man was more stupid than she first thought because with looked at Daemon with a smile and spoke directly to him.

"Her children are bastards!" Everyone jumped at his shout and Jace tensed. Darya took her brother's hand to stop him from moving, her other hand continued playing with her necklace. She knew Vaemond was not done yet. "And she is a whore."

Her grandsire's face was a mask of fury as the crowd gasped and Darya saw Aemond's smile. Her grandsire stood up and unsheathed his Valyrian steel dagger. "I will have your tongue for that."

She had noticed Daemon moving and knew exactly what he was planning. Her stepfather was many things, but he loved her mother and was very protective of her. He would not let the offense pass without punishment. She watched as he swung Dark Sister, the sword taking off the top of Vaemond's head, leaving only the bottom half of his jaw attached to his body. People gasped horrified and Helaena covered her ears before turning away.

Darya smiled, not caring to hide her amusement as Daemon stood without a care in the world over the man's dead body. "He can keep his tongue."

Everyone was shocked when Otto yelled. "Disarm him."