Chapter 2.3: Words of Wisdom

In the opulent surroundings of the room, Ari found himself enveloped in a regal ambiance that seemed to breathe life into every corner. Plush carpeting, embroidered with intricate patterns, cradled his footsteps as he navigated the space, while thick, lush burgundy curtains cascaded from ceiling to floor, framing the large windows that bathed the room in soft light. Exquisitely crafted chairs adorned with ornate carvings beckoned him to rest, which Ari resisted. Frescoes decorated the ceilings, while the faint scent of amylis lingered in the air.

Amidst this sumptuous backdrop, Nis stood resplendent in a beautifully embroidered creme robe, adorned with delicate peonies in shades of pink, lavender, and creme. The richness of his attire mirrored the grandeur of his surroundings, exuding an air of elegance and refinement that captivated Ari's gaze.

A wave of relief washed over Ari, only to be replaced by a surge of anger bubbling from the pit of his stomach, overpowering the shame that lingered. He felt a twinge of gratitude that it was not Auovin, yet simultaneously, a seething resentment ignited within him that it was not.

Meanwhile, Nis seemed to pay Ari no heed, his attention shifting to Sascha, who stood in silence, avoiding Nis's lingering gaze.

"You have grown as well, my sweet Sascha," Nis remarked, closing the distance between them and extending his hand. However, Sascha recoiled, stepping away before Nis could touch his face.

"Sascha, you are upset with me?" Surprise tinged Nis's voice as he made an attempt to bridge the gap between them, reaching out once more towards Sascha. However, Sascha moved further away, edging closer to the door, his eyes shut tight as he emitted a hiss of disgust. In that fleeting moment, Ari caught a glimpse of hurt flickering across Nis's eyes.

"I see... He was right. It would be this way even when I did tell you beforehand," Nis murmured with a sigh, his disappointment palpable. "My sweet Sascha... always eager to please... perhaps now is too soon. I will come to you later, when you are ready."

With those words hanging in the air, Sascha stormed out of the room, followed closely by Xaaza, leaving Ari and Nis in a tense silence. Nis ran a hand through his fiery red hair, emitting a small chuckle tinged with disappointment.

"What is it that you want from me?" Ari said, wanting answers.

Nis's gaze drifted away from Ari, momentarily forgetting his presence, before he flashed Ari a charming smile and settled back into his seat with such beauty and grace, his eyes fixed on the scenery beyond the window.

The silence stretched on, unnerving Ari, yet he remained silent, his attention fixed on Nis as he gathered his thoughts and prepared his response.

"You have grown, Sri, but you have failed to grow in others. The human's death... I did not account for it. It matters not, for I have planned for this as well," Nis spoke, his tone carrying a hint of frustration, though he still did not meet Ari's gaze. It was clear that he was upset, Ari realized, and the weight of his disappointment hung heavy in the air.

"I fear I may have been much too harsh on you then," Nis murmured, his fingers pressed against his lips. "Too forceful, as Kaval said, but... some things must be learned."

Ari's hands clenched into tight fists as his heart stirred at the mention of Kaval. "You took Kaval from me. And you wanted to make me suffer, and I had. What more do you want from me?"

"Want?" Nis echoed, as if savoring the word.

"Yes, want. I am not naive and foolish as I once was. Whatever it is that you want, I will not give you," Ari hissed.

"In some ways, you still are," Nis chuckled softly. "The way you are now... it is not sufficient. You are too... too... much in pieces."

Nis rose from his seat, the folds of his beautifully embroidered robe cascading around him as he moved closer to Ari. "Come away with me."