Justice - Prisons - 1

A letter from the Department of Justice of the [REDACTED] Corporation (prison services team) [draft]:

Hello from the [REDACTED] Corporation HQ (Corporate).

You are reading this letter now for one of three reasons:

A. You were convicted of a crime by a state which has hired us for your detention.

B. You were convicted of a violent crime* or other specific offense** by one of our REAs (Rights Enforcement Agencies), and that decision was upheld on independent appeal(s), if applicable. Additionally, the decision found you to still be a danger to our REA clients.

C. You were convicted of a crime* by a non-affiliated REA which has hired us for your detention.

*Crime, as reasons B and C are concerned, involves a violation of the NAP (Non-Aggression Principle).

**Our REAs do not pursue the detention of most nonviolent convicts, instead opting for monetary fines. However, for serious nonviolent crimes in which the convict cannot pay their fines, detention and labor during it will be used for repayment. This is usually reserved for purposeful actions which have resulted in large monetary damages. The specific details can be found in the respective REA's documentation.

These all mean one thing: you are now our prisoner. Thank you for being convicted (not actually).

Our prisons and penal colonies work differently than what you may expect or be accustomed to. In an effort to reduce costs for our clients, we source most of our revenue from other sources. You will be expected to work. We will pay you. The money you earn can be used for cell/dorm/barracks rent, food, shop goods, other prison services, debt repayment, etc.

Your work options depend on the location of your colony and your security level. For most security levels, excluding maximum, you will be allowed to work outdoors under supervision of armed security officers in towers and with clamped wings if you are a dragon. On that note, human and dragon prisoners will be segregated for obvious reasons. Here are the common job opportunities for our current penal colonies:

-2A, 2B, and 4A (Ice Kingdom): cutting and preparing ice blocks for export

-1A, 1B, 1C, 5A, and 5B (Sky Kingdom): coal mining and preparation

-3A and 3B (Mud Kingdom/Rain Kingdom): washing, sorting, and packaging fruit for export (indoor only--collection is not done by prisoners)

-6A (Mud Kingdom/Sea Kingdom): washing, sorting, and packaging (where some of the ice goes) fish for export (indoor only--collection is not done by prisoners)

-7A, 7B, 7C, and 7D ([CLASSIFIED]): [This information is classified. We, the Dept. of Corporate Security and the Dept. of Research and Development, apologize for any inconvenience.]

If you have no plan to escape, do not worry about detention in the Ice Kingdom. We will provide building heat and protective clothing (yes, for dragons too--you won't need to be able to move your wings anyway). If you do plan to escape from an Ice Kingdom penal colony (where we detain non-IceWings only), be advised that we find sending a search party to prevent your frozen corpse form being buried in the snow to be too expensive for our profit margins.

Punishments for violations within the penal colony depend on species and dragon tribe. Solitary confinement is universal; however modifications can be made if needed. For example, an electric heater may be installed in an IceWing's solitary confinement cell if simple solitary confinement does not correct behavior.

Additional note for MudWing prisoners: If you are detained along with your siblings, which is likely since you may have all been convicted of conspiracy, and you choose to remain a group, you will be punished collectively. Repeated violations of prison rules may lead your warden to separate you and send all but one of you to different penal colonies. Corporate advises its wardens that this is an effective threat to use as a behavioral control due to the strong sibling bond between MudWings. If you would not like to be punished for your siblings actions, either prevent them from taking them, or notify the warden's office or the security office if you can't prevent the actions yourself. Also, eating the fruit or fish product is a violation of the rules. Control yourself.

You may also notice a lack of a cell door in some cases. Instead, you will find seemingly harmless metal cables or chains suspended from above by ceramic disks. Smart SeaWings may have already determined what this is. Similarly to how their prisons use water, these cables or chains are electrified. In fact, these are more dangerous. The eels utilized in SeaWing prisons must "recharge" after each electrocution. Our electric grid does not. Thousands of tons of steel, copper, etc. in our utility-scale alternators will take much more than a small short circuit to stop, so don't try. The noise of arcing will alert guards anyway. The only time it is safe to touch these cables and chains, which is necessary to move through them, is when a guard tells you to do so. A several-thousand-amp arc flash, made possible by the 480 to 2400 volt range of phase-to-phase voltages we may use, does not treat either skin or scales kindly.

-A very dismal welcome,

Corporate

[draft]