Chapter Twenty

Laney woke up to the sound of the toilet flushing and being on Morgan's couch in just his sweatshirt. She kept her eyes closed as she felt his lips on her forehead, "Good afternoon".

She groaned, "How long did we sleep for?".

"Long enough, it's 11:00. Are you hungover? I got us breakfast," he whispered.

"No are you? Also, that's so sweet, thank you," she smiled as she slowly fluttered her eyes open.

He was wrapped in the blanket on the couch too and playing with her hair as he scrolled on his phone. She moved her head onto his lap to see what videos and photos he was looking at.

"I woke up at 8 AM and you were out like a light. Thomas came by because Lauren had left their house key here. She is definitely hungover. Did you have fun?" he asked.

She nodded, "Lauren is the best. She's so fun to be around. Her and Thomas seem to be a really good fit".

The two sat in silence as they watched his Instagram feed. He shifted to grab his cup which had whiskey in it which Laney couldn't believe.

"How often do you have a glass?" she casually asked.

"It's not that big of a deal," he snapped at her making Laney a little tense.

"I was just asking-"

"Sorry. I'm sorry. I know that I need to do better. I'm lucky that I have you to hold me accountable," he said setting the cup down.

She stayed silent not sure what to say other than that he didn't need to drink every day. She wasn't trying to hold him accountable either. But she wasn't going to bring it up again.

"It's crazy you have an 8-6-5 number you know," she said switching the topic.

"How come?"

"You wrote a song about it, didn't you? I think it was one of my favorites off the album," she said tracing little circles and drawings on his arm with her fingers.

"865," he stated.

"I'll never have a Tennessee number because that's just lame," she said.

"Did you just insult my song?" he asked.

"No," she chuckled, "just your area code".

"Don't say that in my Knoxville sweatshirt," he playfully pointed out her sweatshirt making her blush a little.

"Why am I here more than in my own apartment?" she thought aloud.

"You're full of thoughts today. Do you want to go home?" he asked.

She shook her head, "Just an observation".

"You should just start staying here more. Maybe even bring a few clothes," he shrugged casually.

Her eyes widened at the request. It was a bigger step and a bigger deal than he maybe thought. But she saw this as a big stepping stone.

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah then you can go to work from here, plus when I have more interviews and stuff I can't pick you up from work if you don't have your car," he spoke casually.

There was a knock on the door which made Laney get up to get the door. She looked down to see their breakfast from a local brunch spot. Walking back to the couch she felt her stomach aching.

It wasn't starvation but she was hungry. Points for him.

There was just nothing but the news as noise when the pair began to grub. The biscuits and gravy was heavenly with some bacon slices and sausage links as well as hash browns on the plate.

She finished her plate first and got up putting her box in the trash and going to the blinds. She peeked open and saw a rainstorm, it was downpouring as if there was no tomorrow. Oh how she loves spring.

She opened his blinds and walked back towards Morgan who was throwing his box out, "Perfect rainy day weather".

He nodded quietly, "Yeah yeah".

"Babe what's wrong?" she asked concerned while she held his hand.

"They extended my album deadline for another three months. But I don't know. Let's just relax Laney girl," he burrowed his head in her shoulder.

She sat back on the couch and put on Netflix, "Horror?".

He nodded as she spoke, "You should write if you have to write. Don't let me stop you".

"You are my little muse if anything," he kissed her cheek lightly as he reached for that same whiskey glass from prior.

But she kept her mouth shut about it, "Sweet tea sounds good right now".

He stood up and went to the fridge to pour her a glass as she settled for Haunting of Bly Manor for the show they'd binge today.

She thanked him as he sat back down but with his guitar nearby.

"Do you want me to turn this off so you can strum your guitar? I can go back and paint," she said eyeing him.

"No no, I want you here. Just in case I think of something... put the show back on," he said.

She nodded and put the show back on, but she loved to talk during shows and movies. It was just her thing. She was trying to suppress herself but it wasn't working, "I can't not talk during movies".

Morgan sighed, "Oh no, you're one of them huh".

"Hey!" she exclaimed as she sipped her sweet tea.

The show began and the two sat cuddled up with each other before Morgan spoke again, "So I have a show coming up in Indiana. I would love for you to come & then go back to Knoxville with me".

"Well I have a job here".

"It's a Thursday to a Sunday and we can borrow Thomas' plane until I get my own".

"I'll be there. When is it?"

"In three days".

"Oh my god. You're telling me now?"

"I forgot," he shrugged.

She nodded as she began writing down the information he was saying, "What are you singing for?".

"My double album: Dangerous. I had to cancel the Indy show because of some tornadoes last year," he said.

"So it's like a tour?"

"It's the last tour show now and then I'm all yours," he whispered as he leaned into her.

This shut her up. Now all she could think about while the show was playing was her being on tour with him one day. What would happen the day she decided not to go with him and to pursue her own path instead?

"I'm going to have to work remotely or- actually I'm just going to work longer hours this week," she said texting Eleanor.

He nodded taking a sip of his glass, "I appreciate ya coming".