Chapter Sixteen

Ana had drafted up two different concepts and sent them to Laney, who departed as soon as Ana whipped her iPad out. She had other things to do other than focus on these two clients alone.

She knocked on Eleanors door and it slowly swung open to reveal an anxious Eleanor. She was pacing back and forth until Laney walked in, "verdict?".

"Well they just wanted to see it for themselves. I'm shocked they even have time to come down here. Ana drafted two concepts which I just forwarded to you," Laney said.

"Yeah I am shocked too," Eleanor spoke, "but thank goodness it wasn't anything bad".

Laney nodded as she turned to walk out until Eleanor spoke, "funny he said he's seen you before," which caused Laney to freeze in her spot and turn around.

She knows. Laney faced her boss and gulped as she tried to play it cool, "yeah I didn't know he would look at my portfolio".

"You know, we don't have individual portfolios on the site unless they're requested and he didn't request one," Eleanor said staring right into Laneys eyes.

Laney started to sweat profusely, "um maybe Rhett?".

There was an uncomfortable silence in the room before Eleanor spoke, "is there something you aren't telling me?".

Was she about to disclose her nonexistent relationship but situationship and friendship with her boss?

" We are friends. But he signed with us after Rhett showed him my portfolio not because we are friends," she told Eleanor. It wasn't a lie but it wasn't the whole truth, but there were some things that would just be better left unsaid.

Eleanor's eyes lit up, "No need to be scared to tell me Laney. You'd be surprised by the amount of client's we get that already know some of our account supervisors here. I was just curious how he got ahold of your portfolio".

Laney nodded feeling anxious, "Okay".

She turned around to walk out as Eleanor said she had a meeting to run to now. And of course, she immediately told Ana via Teams.

Her office space was a mess and her head was everywhere after that conversation with Eleanor. She knew Eleanor still was a little suspicious, it was a feeling she couldn't shake off.

Before she knew it, she was out the door of the office. Ana was beaming when she met Laney near her car, "we signed a BIGGER contract".

Laney congratulated her but surely the only thing on her mind was Eleanor knowing. The two departed as Laney sat in silence during the car ride home but it felt quiet with the thoughts clouding her head.

Jack: y'all want to go out for drinks later?
Ana: yes
Laney: yes

Maybe that's what she needed: a drink. Laney got home and immediately started to get ready, it was a late day in the office. As she started to pick an outfit out she decided to call Morgan.

"Hello?" he asked.

She heard a guitar strum and some drums in the back, "hey how was work?"

"Oh I'm still working. I'm wrapping up though. What are you up to Laney girl?" he asked.

"I'm getting ready to go out with Jack and Ana," she said as she started pushing her hangers of clothes.

She grabbed some cherry brown leather pants and a white tube top.

"Jack huh?" Morgan repeated, making Ana roll her eyes.

"Come onnn don't be jealous," she said.

"I ain't jealous but let me know where you'll be tonight. I'll pick ya up," he replied with some attitude.