Chapter Seven

The sunlight was beaming through the windows and onto the couch where Laney fell asleep. 6 AM. Just on time, her alarm went off. But she didn't mind, she was shockingly awake enough to have a good day.

"Alexa play my good morning playlist," she said while starting her iced coffee machine.

She was radiating in the mirror while taking a picture to send to her mom. It was going to be a good day for sure. Her bagel was just the right shade of brown she liked and her coffee came out perfect.

She walked out the apartment with a smile on her face as she saw Morgans name light her screen up.

Morgan: It went good, I think we got a song we are finishing up today. How's work going?

Laney: Headed there now! That's good to hear, told you that you could do it!

Her phone started to ring as soon as the Read sign popped up and of course, it was him.

"Hey," she smiled as she sat in the car.

"Hey. Sorry I didn't text you back yesterday, are you ready for today?" he said, full of energy.

"Youre all good! I am. Definitely just nervous," she replied.

"Want to get dinner tonight? My treat," he quickly asked.

She could hear his big gasp of instant regret and his palm hit his face which made her giggle. But what was he playing at? Did he want a girlfriend? A hookup? Friends? Do friends do this?

"Sure but let me pay," she laughed.

The rest of the conversation was him talking about the song he wrote and soon enough she was at Lipton. The knots in her stomach were instantly returning. How was this real?

She texted her boss who initially mentioned her meeting Laney outside the building. Soon enough a woman in her 40s came down, "Laney?".

"Hi, I'm Laney nice to meet you!" she shook her hand.

"Eleanor. I'll show you your office and then we can tall about clients you'd like to take over as Manager of Event Coordinators. You'll be in charge of all the music events as of now. Jake quit two weeks ago, can you handle that?" Eleanor greeted Laney as they walked up the stairs.

What a great start. "Yes!"

The doors opened to tile flooring and big illuminated office spaces with whiteboards. If only she could take a picture to show her mom. The walls had pictures of different music artists and a sign hung on the big wall: MUSIC.

"Here we are, I need to grab something from the printer and we can discuss your duties," Eleanor opened her door and handed the key to Laney.

The room had light green walls and had the big whiteboard with a iMac and some shelves. Instantly she put a picture of her mom, Mia, and her. A little piece of home. There was a small window that overlooked the garage and that was it, but it was enough.

Eleanor came back with pieces of paper and handed a stack of Laney, "so pick your top three and we can work from there".

In front of her was a list of events and categories for her to circle. The events that would define her career here at Lipton, here in Nashville. 
— Music
— Company Meetings

And those were the only ones she circled. "Shockinfly enough, not a lot of people circle music here because the reputation of snotty artists," Eleanor said, "so it's all yours".

Laneys smile was soon broken from the massive email she saw on her work computer of events; a wavering smile. But this is what she signed up for.

The only big artist she recognized was Thomas Rhett, who was hosting a fan experience event. Her day was spent making calls and researching while making spreadsheets.

A knock was made on her door, "Laney?".

She looked up and a girl in her 20s was stood at the door, "I'm Ana. I'm an Event Coordinator too, I was wondering if you'd want to grab lunch together tomorrow?".

Laney couldn't help but feel happy that she was able to make a friend, "I would love that".

Ana walked out and Laney finished packing her things to head to her car. All she could think about was a long nap.

The drive home was quick... mainly because she sped back. As she approached her door, she was greeted with daisies in a vase on her floormat.

Laney immediately dialled her mom, "mom?".

"Hi Laneybug! How was work?".

"It was good, thank you for the dasies".

"Daisies?"

"Yeah the ones at my door," she said carrying them into her apartment.

"I didn't get you daisies but I did send you a gift card for some Doordash," her mom chuckled.

"Oh mom I miss you," Laney said while inspecting the flowers.

Soon enough she found the blue slip of paper that had slipped off onto the floor: Congratulations on your first day of work Lane— M.

Mia wouldn't send her flowers, she would just call. And that just left Morgan.

"Mom can I call you back?" she asked.

She called Morgan and he picked up on the first ring, "you got my flowers?".

"That was really sweet of you, Morgan you didn't have to," she smiled.

"I wanted to, you're a Broadway city girl now. Do you want to get dinner Lane?" he asked.

"Can we get takeout? What are you up to?" she asked while changing into some pajamas.

"Drinking some whiskey you know. Yeah what are you in the mood for? Chinese?" he asked making her laugh at his accent.

"Yes some Chinese sounds great," she laughed mocking him.

"HEY. I'll be there soon," he said hanging up.

Soon enough, there he was. "Thanks for my daisies," she blushed opening the door.

"Of course Lane. And here's your requested Chinese. Do you like Crab Rangoons?" he smiled.

They sat on the couch eating and devouring the rangoons. And then Laney put on Shameless because Morgan said he had never seen it, because it was her favorite show after all.

"How was work Lane?" he asked pouring himself whiskey and her some wine.

"It's already been hectic and exciting. I'm managing all music events and company events! I'm coordinating an event for Thomas Rhett," she squealed.

His face displayed shock, "Thomas? He's a good buddy of mine".

"Yup, he's my first big client!" she beamed proudly.

"Maybe you'll do my events," he grinned suggestively.

"I actually listened to your songs the other day," she said to him, "do an album opening with Lipton".

He nodded, "what did you think?".

"I really liked a couple of songs. They're on my Spotify playlist," she handed him her phone getting up to refill their glasses.

"Wallen how much whiskey do you drink a day?" she asked in shock looking at the new bottle he had brought over.

"Quite a lot," he chuckled, "you picked some good songs in here".

She took a sip of her glass sitting to face him, "how has work been for you?".

She could sense his hesitancy before he answered. Was it weird of her to ask?

"Well I've written a song, it'll be out in a week. No one knows though, and then i think I have a good album concept now," he said.

"We have to celebrate!" she exclaimed.

He smiled, "its not my best song".

"Any song is a good song by you," she grinned.

He rolled his eyes, "let's play a drinking game".