Chapter Fourteen

After work, he had picked her up in his truck. She was exhausted from the night prior and staying up through the night painting. She hopped in his truck and closed the door immediately leaning her head on the armrest and shutting her eyes.

"Tired pretty girl?" he asked.

She nodded as he spoke, "take a nap".

She closed her eyes taking a deep breath smelling the whiskey on his breath and the smoke on his clothes.

She woke up when the car stopped about two minutes later.

"Good morning," he said.

She nodded her head in acknowledgment as she got out the door, "work was tiring".

"I can tell. Ready to see it?"

"See what?" she asked in confusion.

All she wanted to do was go home. There was no point in her being there without her car and she wasn't willing to ruin her sleep schedule.

The elevator door opened and he opened the front door. Right in the living room was her paining that she painted him above his guitar. But her annoyance with not being home was overtaking her happy emotions.

"Wow it looks great," she half-smiled.

"Laney what's wrong?" he sighed as he poured himself a glass of whiskey.

She inhaled a deep breath, "work has just been really long and I want to sleep. I'm sorry," she said.

He rolled his eyes in annoyance as he took a swig out of his cup making her half smile turn into a frown.

"It was a hard day for me and the label. They want me to push out some more on this album," he said flatly.

She couldn't help but dryly chuckle. She walked away to the bathroom and splashed her face with some cold water and stared in the mirror. Keep your cool.

He looked pissed, "I try to do something nice for you and you can't even appreciate it".

"Are you kidding me? There's smoke on your clothes and whiskey or whatever liquor on your breath. I stayed up trying to do something nice and paint you a little something to commemorate whatever this friendship situationship is and congratulate you. You're interfering with my work by making me hang out at your studio instead of letting me work and hanging out after," she fumed as she opened her phone to open the Uber app.

He scoffed, "whatever Laney. I've been trying to show you around and its managing events like come on".

She turned red as she hit "order" on the Uber. "I'm going to assume you're buzzed or tipsy per usual and I'm going to go," she seethed through her teeth with tears welling in her eyes, "dont think about calling me".

She immediately texted Ana the story. But she slammed the door on the way out and walked into the Uber with no words. No way he just undermined her job like that. No way. She could make his event a shit show but she knew that would reflect poorly more on her rather than him, and more importantly, the company would be impacted negatively.

And there she was back in her own bed. In tears. It hurt to hear someone she finally cared about enough to even like just completely act that way. She couldn't tell if she overreacted but she knew that he had taken it a step too far. But she still decided to call him and apologize, "I'm sorry-".

She heard him heavily breathe on the other side of the phone, "it's fine let's just talk later" he said and hung up.

There was no way things should've gotten that heated. And in that moment she realized she gaslit herself into apologizing, a horrible bad habit of hers. There was just no winning.