Chapter Eight

She had woken up in a big shirt and nothing else with Morgan next to her. Instantly she felt the urge to panic but instead she just inhaled sharply. She wanted to wake him up so bad. But luckily her alarm did that for her. Instantly she shut it off. His eyes fluttered open and she just squeezed him, "um I am a little confused".

"Laney you are a goddamn lightweight. You threw up and I changed you," he chuckled squeezing her.

She just groaned feeling the hangover, "I have work".

"Dont worry I'll take care of it," he whispered still holding her tight.

Morgan's way of taking care of it was sleeping and Laney figured that out by waking up in panic at 11 AM. Morgan was sipping on whiskey when she had bolted up, making him almost spill his whiskey.

"Jesus Christ," he said in shock.
"I'm going to be fired it's only my second day," she groaned panicking to get up.

"Laney it's fine I took care of it," he said holding her.

"Morgan what? This- "

"Laney you forget who I am," he sighed.

She rolled her eyes, "what?"

"Laney, Im signing a contract with Lipton under your name. We are in a meeting," he chuckled.

The rage that went through her body was enormous. "MORG-"

"Lane. I actually do need an event done and would like you to execute it, genuinely. I should've asked," he sighed.

"Well now I need details to go off of," she said upset.

"I'll have them sent to you by tomorrow by my management. Meanwhile, want to take a trip?" he yawned.

She just sat in disbelief. There was no way he was doing this.

"In all seriousness though I don't want you to take this the wrong way. I don't like you disrupting me trying to make my own name," she sighed.

Morgan instantly looked offended, "wow. Is that what you think of me? Im going to go".

"Morgan I-"

"Save it Laney I should've known better," he said getting up.

"Morgan I just don't want you to leave your event with me because of you feeling bad or something," she quickly said.

His hand let go out of the knob as he turned around and sat on the bed again, "I looked at your portfolio before I decided".

"Really?"

"Really. And I think you can do it," he said.

"I'm sorry," she whispered closing her eyes, the room was spinning a little. She instantly shot up and ran to the bathroom to throw up.

Morgan came in and held her hair back and rubbed her back, "oh Laney" he laughed.

She shot back a glare, "don't make fun of me Wallen".

He tried to stifle his laughter as he rubbed her back, "sorry Lane. But in all seriousness, I checked if you're actually good at your job before making that call".

She proceeded to throw up and gave him a thumbs up while he ran to get her water. She knew it was better to not find it offensive but she couldn't help but feel that way.

She sat on the bedroom floor while taking small sips of water, "I really wanted to work today".

"Lane you're not okay. Do you really want me to talk business with you right now?" he whispered shaking his head in disbelief while offering his hand to her.

She nodded and he gently picked her up and placed her in the bed. She didn't even get mad, she was exhausted again. He sat next to her, "so my album is coming out and it'll be a live performance on the rooftop," he whispered explaining the concept to which she nodded.

She grabbed her iPad and Morgan just watched while continuing to explain, "my capacity would be 50-100, I want it to be intimate. Nothing crazy, just a nice home vibe".

She nodded again writing it down, "tell me about the album". It wasn't required to be known but she was definitely curious. Hopefully he would slip up.

"Lots of mentions of whiskey, some old scandals, and just life currently," he carefully explained. He couldn't tell if it was relevant but if it would help then it would help.

He got up and poured himself a glass of whiskey once again which made Laney slightly irritated, "can you stop drinking during our meeting and my hangover?".

She didn't mean to snap but a whiff of whiskey would make her throw up instantly and he took a swig and put it down instantly.

"Sorry Lane. I think we should do this meeting another time," he said.

"Morgan they're going to have me come in with details," she coldly said.

He knew he messed up in some way but he didn't want to make her more upset.

"I haven't written much," he shrugged.

She nodded, "if I was your bartender Morgan, i would make sure you get a mixed drink instead of whiskey. I don't know how you do if. The smell of that will have me on the floor".

He chuckled, "you and I need to go out on the boat. I'll drink beer".

She smiled, "anything else you have planned? Like a date?".

He froze, that wasn't necessarily his intention but he wouldn't mind... but he could imagine a life with her even after a few days. She lived in his head rent free. The sound of her laugh, the way she hopped out of the truck, the way when she slept her hand always found his way to his, the intense make out in the backseat. It was all on rotation like clockwork in his head. It gave him butterflies.

"Would you like that?" he genuinely asked as she went to the bathroom to grab her toothbrush.

Laney would like that. But Laney saw herself as a free bird. No strings attached. A friends with benefits. A relationship without a label or the pressure. She didn't want to get hurt. More importantly, the last thing she wanted to be a part of was fame. She liked his company but not enough to date him. She was ready to up and leave.