Chapter Fifteen

She woke up tangled in the blankets with him. It was finally Thursday, just one day away from the weekend. Morgan had her engulfed in his arms as she placed a small kiss on his forehead. He stirred a bit in his sleep but didn't move much as she slowly wiggled her way out of his arms.

She began picking her clothes up as she walked out from the fort and began to get ready for work. The last thing she needed to look like was a mess at work and get made fun of by Ana or Jack or even worse, Eleanor.

She walked to her car as she checked her phone and saw a notification from her sister in the family groupchat, her sister that she never talks to anymore. The age difference made it difficult for them as kids and as adults.

Penny: got engaged!! we already set the date before John gets deployed!
Mom: so happy for you honey!
Laney: congratulations
Penny: two more months!

Two more months?! She knew a lot of things and one of them was that her sister was delusional for getting married in such a short period of time, but with her fiancés deployment into the Navy it made sense. She was never the biggest fan of him ever since she came home crying to her when he slapped her in the face.

She brushed it off as she went to her car and brushed her hair at the same time. There was a lot of unsaid things between Penny and Laney.

They only spoke during the holidays and most of the time it was Penny belittling Laney or trying to invasively get information about her personal life and then judge her. Last Christmas was a shit show for this exact reason and since then Penny went back to Virginia with John, while her and her mom stayed and had spent Christmas together.

Laney drove to work with her mind flooded with thoughts about the wedding. As she opened her office door she noticed a small post-it on her desk:
see me- Eleanor

She slowly walked to Eleanor's door which was closed and turned around. This was either going to be something good or maybe she was going to get fired. She went to Ana's door and walked in closing it which prompted Ana to look up from her work.

"How was last night?" Ana asked her as she set her pen down and gave her attention to Laney.

"Good but Eleanor left a note on my desk telling me to see her," whispered Laney as she closed the door.

Ana began to pick up what she was working on and scribbled away, "I'm sure it's nothing".

"Thank you," Laney said.

In that moment Jack busted through the door slightly hitting Laney with the door.

"Elea- oh sorry Laney," Jack said, "Eleanor left a note on my desk".

All eyes were on Jack as he spoke, "she said to go see her".

Ana's eyes went wide, "this is so unfair".

"She called me in too," Laney whispered to Jack to catch him up to speed.

Jack shared that he went and she was in a meeting so he came to Anas office. "Well I'm going to get back to work," Laney sighed.

But Eleanor walked through the door in that exact moment, "you three are always together it seems".

"Hi Eleanor!" Ana greeted Eleanor. She looked visibly stressed yet she was trying to cover it up. Eleanor typically was bubbly and excited to greet anyone, but she was different today.

Eleanor closed the door which prompted silence in the room. Ana even dropped everything she was doing to give Eleanor her full attention.

"I except everyone on their best behavior. Wallen and Rhett both want to come here at the same time to see our upstairs venue. Ana, I'm expecting you to give them the client tour we gave their managers. Jack, I want you up their pronto and start staging immediately after this. Laney, I'll want you to be with Ana and learn from what she's saying as well as bring their current event visions into it," Eleanor explained.