[ 05 ] YES, CHEF

[ 05 ] YES, CHEF

TOSHA

"...leave a message and I'll get back to you." Matteo's voice played through my ears on the other line, signaling that I had received his voicemail for the third time this morning. I frowned to myself, sulked into the service car's backseat, and sighed.

I clicked the power button on the phone.

After Niecy shared the news about Matteo's new publicists, I'd begun to put dots together that I hadn't realized before. It was as if I'd been so busy with Kaila's Kitchen and preparing for the baby, I rushed through most of the quality one-on-one time I had with Matteo. Granted, he was away for work often but I trusted him.

While dating in university, Matteo and I took our faith a bit more seriously and he worked on things that he felt were keeping him away from God, and knowing Jesus Christ, while I did the same. Since Matteo cut back on smoking and drinking, we both sought out therapy. In addition, Matteo also added regular physical therapy to his routine to avoid any major damage. Matteo was thinking clearer and making better decisions for not only his future but for us as a couple.

University was tough while we dated, especially since the rumors and on-campus papers were always printing up a new story about him or his teammates. Nevertheless, our bond was secure and I trusted him. Matteo never gave me a reason to doubt him. He was pretty straightforward and we struggled a bit but neither of us shied away from the tough conversations.

Marriage and entering professional football was another ball game and it wasn't something that I properly prepared for. I did a lot of hiding in university but once Matteo went pro, I tried my best to disappear and merge into the background as much as possible. I hated the flashing lights, constant gossip and false stories. My weight was fluctuating and although I lost a lot of weight the last year of university due to stress, my weight was still an uncontrollable roller coaster. I hated to be picked apart by the tabloids and magazines. Eventually, Matteo and I found alternative ways for me to stay hidden from the light but once people got word that I was the owner of Kaila's Kitchen and my restaurant was featured in a few papers, things changed drastically.

Business was in full motion and I was grateful. Nevertheless, I was in the spotlight and people wanted to do features and have me guest star on television platforms.

Needless to say, Lori gained more calls from companies and networks than I would've imagined. I completed a few but once I realized I was pregnant, I fell back into my shell again.

"We're here, Mrs. Wittstock, uh, Chef...Chef Tosha." My driver Louis fought hard with what name to refer to me as.

I looked out of the window and sighed. However, my sigh wasn't towards him, it was towards my current situation with the lack of communication from Matteo.

Louis spoke up again. "I apologize, Chef. Your husband will kill me if I don't address you as such. But I know you prefer to be called by your other title."

He was indeed correct. Matteo spent years correcting people we encountered who would see the two of us paired with one another and would purposely refer to me as a girlfriend after we were married or to many who chose not to acknowledge me when I was with my husband at all. It was blatant disrespect and although we experienced a lot of odd experiences while together in university, entering into the real world in the next stage of our life took us both by surprise.

Matteo put his foot down and refused to allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me whenever we were together. With a few calls, he also got many people terminated from their positions. It became a thing for many people to refer to me as Mrs. Wittstock or Matteo's wife but I preferred Chef Tosha or regular old Tosha.