M1, Chapter 8

Open Sea

(The armada coasts toward a shroud of heavy fog, hung like drapes from a low-hanging, ominous sky. The ships enter, one by one. Visibility drops immediately. Flanking ships becomes ghosts. The armada disappears, drawn into the blinding mist.

Complete whiteout. Nothing remains but the eerie creaking of wood on water. Stoick is at the bow of his ship. He taps his fingers on the gunwale, then looks back at Toothless impatiently. Weighed down with chains, Toothless seems unresponsive)

Stoick: Sound your positions. Stay within earshot.

(Shouts pour in from all directions)

Viking 1: Here.

Viking 2: One length to your stern.

Viking 3: On your starboard flank.

Viking 4: Three widths to port.

Viking 5: Ahead, at your bow.

Viking 6: Haven't a clue.

(Stoick is straining into the fog as the calls continue. Massive, jagged sea stacks begin to emerge, threatening to rip the ships to shreds. Gobber approaches him, speaking under his breath)

Gobber: Listen... Stoick... I was overhearing some of the men just now and, well, some of them are wondering what it is we're up to here, not me of course, I know you're always the man with the plan but some, not me, are wondering if there is in fact a plan at all, what it might be?

Stoick: Find the nest and take it.

Gobber: Ah. Of course. Send them running. The old Viking fall-back. Nice and simple.

Stoick: Shhh.

(Stoick notices that Toothless' ear plates are at the alert, quietly reacting to inaudible sounds. Stoick crosses to the stern of the ship and grabs the tiller, moving the helmsman out of the way)

Stoick: Step aside.

(Stoick pulls the ship into a turn, covertly following Toothless' head movements. The ship barely misses a jagged outcrop that suddenly appears out of the soupy fog)

Viking 7: Bear to port.

(The order is called out from ship to ship. CRUNCH! The bow barely makes it past another sea stack. Stoick continues to follow Toothless' cues, undeterred)

Berk - Traning Grounds

(Hicca raises the bolt on the Monstrous Nightmare's pen)

Fishlegs: If you're planning on getting eaten, I'd definitely go with the Gronckle.

(Hicca turns to see her fellow recruits, watching her with folded arms. Tuffnut steps forward with a scowl)

Tuffnut: You were wise to seek help from the world's most deadly weapon. It's me.

Hicca: Uh...

Snotlout: I love this plan.

Hicca: I didn't...

Ruffnut: You're crazy. I like that.

(Astrid grabs Ruffnut by her face and shoves her away. Astrid smiles at Hicca)

Astrid: So? What is the plan?

(Hicca smiles, glowing in the support of her friends. Suddenly the roar of Fafnir is heard by the teens, Hicca and Astrid look up and smile while the other teens eyes widen in shock and fright as Fafnir and Y/n land onto the arena)