M1, Chapter 2

Berk - Great Hall

(A noisy din of protesting voices leads to Stoick, glowering in the fire light. Surrounded by his men)

Stoick: Either we finish them or they'll finish us! It's the only way we'll be rid of them! If we find the nest and destroy it, the dragons will leave. They'll find another home.

(He sinks his blade into a large nautical map, spread out on the table... the blade pierces the middle of an uncharted corner, swirling with painted sea monsters and dragons)

Stoick: One more search. Before the ice sets in.

Viking 1: Those ships never come back.

Stoick: We're Vikings. It's an occupational hazard. Now who's with me?

(Stoick throws up his fist. No one follows. The crowds shifts in restless silence. Head scratches. Eyes averted)

Viking 2: Today's not good for me.

Viking 3: I've gotta do my axe returns.

Stoick: Alright. Those who stay will look after Hicca.

(Hands jut into the air, volunteers galore. Enthusiastic murmurs of prep and packing fill the room)

Viking 4: To the ships!

Spitelout: I'm with you Stoick!

Stoick: That's more like it.

(The Vikings rush for the door, leaving Gobber and Stoick alone. Gobber gulps back the contents of his tankard attachment and scrapes back the bench)

Gobber: I'll pack my undies.

Stoick: No, I need you to stay and train some new recruits.

Gobber: Oh, perfect. And while I'm busy, Hicca can cover the stall. Molten steel, razor sharp blades, lots of time to herself... what could possibly go wrong?

(Stoick sinks onto the bench beside Gobber, his brow burdened)

Stoick: What am I going to do with her Gobber?

Gobber: Put her in training with the others.

Stoick: No, I'm serious.

Gobber: So am I.

(Stoick turns to him, glaring)

Stoick: She'd be killed before you let the first dragon out of its cage.

Gobber: Oh, you don't know that.

Stoick: I do know that, actually.

Gobber: No, you don't.

Stoick: No, actually I do.

Gobber: No you don't!

Stoick: Listen! You know what she's like. From the time she could crawl she's been... different. She doesn't listen. Has the attention span of a sparrow. I take her fishing and she goes hunting for... for trolls.

(Hearing that Gobber becomes defensive)

Gobber: Trolls exist! They steal your socks. But only the left ones. What's with that?

Stoick: When I was a boy...

Gobber: Oh here we go.

Stoick: My father told me to bang my head against a rock and I did it. I thought it was crazy, but I didn't question him. And you know what happened?