M1, Chapter 7

Berk - Woods

(Astrid races through the trees. A large shadow overtakes her. She is suddenly snatched into the air. Astrid Sscreams)

Astrid: Oh great Odin's ghost, this is it!

(Y/n and Fafnir fly Astrid to the top of a towering pine. It bows and creaks under their weight as Astrid dangles a hundred feet in the air)

Astrid: Y/n! Get me down from here!

(Hicca and Toothless land on a tree next to them)

Y/n: You have to give us a chance to explain.

Astrid: I'm not listening to ANYTHING you have to say!

Y/n: Then I won't speak. Just let me show you.

(Y/n extends a hand)

Y/n: Please, Astrid.

(Astrid eyes him and the dragon, then the ground far, far below. After a moment, she grabs Y/n's hand and he lifts her onto the saddle behind him. Astrid settles behind Y/n and wraps her arms around him to make sure she wont wall down)

Astrid: Now get me down.

Y/n: Fafnir? Down. Gently.

(Fafnir leers mischievously. He spreads his wings slowly. With a whop, they fill with the up draft. Fafnir releases the tree, tucks in his legs, and hovers in place. Hicca looks at Fafnir and sees his expression)

Y/n: See? Nothing to be afraid of.

Hicca: You better hold on Astrid.

Astrid: What-?

(Fafnir suddenly launches straight upward. Astrid screams. The acceleration is tremendous. Every down beat bucks the saddle, heaving them into the sky, doubling their speed like a rocket. Astrid is thrown backward. She screams and hugs Y/n for dear life, squeezing the breath out of him. Hicca and Toothless bolt upwards after them with Hicca laughing at Astrid a little)

Y/n: Fafnir! What is wrong with you?! Bad dragon!

(Y/n chuckles and looks back at Astrid)

Y/n: He's not usually like this. Oh no...

(Fafnir rolls and plummets toward the coastline far below. Astrid screams. Fafnir rockets over the ocean waves, turning around and dipping Y/n and Astrid in the froth making sure to not hit the water himself)

Y/n: Fafnir, what are you doing?! We need her to like us!

Sky

(Fafnir rockets skyward and begins tumbling head over tail)

Y/n: And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing you useless reptile.

(Astrid buries her face into Y/n's shoulder)

Astrid: Okay! I'm sorry! I'm sorry! Just get me off of this thing.

(Astrid is defeated, her aggressive energy gone. Satisfied, Fafnir relents. They level off and head up into the clouds with Hicca and Toothless who finally catch up. Astrid opens her eyes again, and looks out over a world she'd never dreamed of. She reaches out and touches clouds, pierces columns ablaze in golden hues, and floats over a vast, alien skyscape.

Her terror is replaced by wonder. She grins, despite herself. Fafnir and Toothless rise above a blanket of clouds and level off under a starry sky. They emerge from a blanket of clouds under the dancing Northern Lights, shimmering in ribbons across the vast sky. Below them, Berk's torches flicker in the inky darkness.