M1, Chapter 1

North Sea - Berk

(We skim above a dark, wild ocean. The camera turns toward alone island, Berk. It is a gigantic shard of rock jutting straight out of the water)

Hicca: "This, is Berk. It's twelve days North of hopeless, and a few degrees South of freezing to death. It's located solidly on the meridian of misery."

(The camera drifts over rolling hills to reveal a small village nestled on an outcropping of sea mounts)

Hicca: "My village. In a word, sturdy. And it's been here for seven generations, but every single building is new."

(The camera drifts closer, circling)

Hicca: "We have fishing, hunting, and a charming view of the sunsets. The only problems are the pests. You see, most places have mice or mosquitos. We have..."

(Sheep graze peacefully on a hillside. Suddenly one is snatched)

Stoick's House

(A door is pulled open... as a Dragon swoops directly toward it, blasting fire. The door is slammed. The fire shoots through the slats of wood, illuminating Hicca, a gangly teenage Viking)

Hicca: ...dragons.

(She reopens the sizzling door, as leaps off of the front porch. She weaves through the erupting mayhem as Vikings pour out of the buildings, ready for a fight. More dragons swarm in, setting rooftops alight and hauling off sheep)

Hicca: "Most people would leave. Not us. We're Vikings. We have stubbornness issues."

(Vikings sound the alarm. Viking men and women pour out into the streets, axes in hand. Hicca is darting through alleys, staying under eaves, making her way through the battle)

Hicca: "My name's Hicca. Great name, I know. But it's not the worst. Parents believe a hideous name will frighten off gnomes and trolls. Like our charming Viking demeanor wouldn't do that."

(Dragons sweep back and forth, dodging axes and blasting the Vikings who throw them. A burly warrior gets tossed in an explosion, knocking Hicca to the ground)

Viking: Arggghhhhh!

(His expression changes to a cheery one)

Viking: Mornin'!

(Hicca gets to her feet and continues to rush past gigantic men and women)

Viking 2: What are you doing out!?

Viking 3: Get inside!

Viking 4: Get back inside!

(Enter Stoick, the biggest Viking of all. He yanks Hicca from the path of a strafing dragon and holds aloft to the crowd)

Stoick: Hicca!?

(Stoick points at the crowd accusingly)

Stoick: What is she doing out again?!

(He looks down at Hicca)

Stoick: What are you doing out?! Get inside!

(The flames light up his scowling face and matted red beard. He sets Hicca down and turns to the sky, searching)

Hicca: "That's Stoick the Vast. Chief of the tribe. They say that when he was a baby he popped a dragon's head clean off of its shoulders. Do I believe it?"

(Stoick grabs a wooden cart and hurls it, knocking the strafing dragon out of the sky)

Hicca: "Yes I do."