30 | Home

Choi Iseul

"...Child? Wake up." A voice came, making my eyes flutter open. A numbing pain covered my entire body, making it hard to even sit up on my own.

"Are you all right? How did you get into such a situation?" The middle aged man worriedly asked. "Let me take you to the hospital-"

"No... I'm fine. No need for hospital." I croaked out, holding my abdomen which hurt the most.

"No, you're clearly in so much pain. Let me help you." He said, offering me his hand.

"Please don't take me to the hospital... Please." I begged, already imagining how my mother would react if she saw the hospital bills.

"Okay, okay fine. I won't take you to the hospital. Atleast let me take you to your home?" He said.

I was about to decline but another wave of pain hit me, making me stagger for a bit as I tried standing up.

"Forget about it. I'm taking you to my home for first aid. You look in no condition to be able to manage yourself." He said.

And without giving me another chance to speak, I was already in the taxi with the man.

"You don't have to help me... Mr uh,"

"Lee. I'm Lee Jaehyuk." He said warmly, handing me a bottle of water. "Are you really sure that you don't want to go to hospital? Your wounds look pretty serious to me."

"No. Not the hospital." I said stubbornly.

"How did you get into this condition?" He asked.

"I-I... It's nothing much, just... I just got into a fight." I said, averting my gaze.

He chuckled, turning away to look out of the window as if recalling something.

"You can be honest with me, you know? My daughter used to be bullied when she was younger, and I really see her in you." He said gently, taking a hold of my hand.

I stayed silent. Not because I wanted to, but because I just didn't know what to say.

Soon, the taxi stopped and after paying the driver, the man guided me towards his home.

"My wife and children are at home. I hope you don't mind." He said.

I just nodded, not really in a position to complaint. This man was already showing me enough of kindness by not taking me to hospital. I couldn't ask for more.

However, my steps slowed down when I found myself in a familiar neighbourhood.

The uneasiness just grew when the man guided me towards a house I had been to before.

It was Minho's place.

"Mr Lee, I live pretty nearby... Can I please go back to my home? My mom will take care of me." I lied, basically begging as I paused in my tracks.

"Hm? Why's that? What's wrong dear? We're already here. First aid won't take long." He said, looking at me with a bewildered expression.

"No... I need to go back home." I pleaded.

"Well, if that's the case, let me just talk to your mother." He stated.

No... This can't be happening...

"I-"

"Dad? What are you doing outside?" A voice interrupted me.

And there he was, standing at the doorstep right in front of me. I had missed him so, so much. But in that moment, I wanted nothing more than to hide away. His eyes widened as he took in my appearance, worry filling his eyes as he stepped towards me.