2 | Love At First Sight?

Lee Minho

The first day of highschool didn't seem too bad to me. By some huge coincidence, the rest of the guys and I were in the same class. We really didn't expect that, and thought most of us would be in different classes. But when we found out, all of us were excited beyond one can imagine.

Me being me, of course didn't show any signs of excitement to the rest, but I'm sure everyone already knew about it.

All eight of us have been together since the middle school. I was honestly blessed to have such a wonderful and supporting group of friends. All of us were basically family at this point.

We laughed and talked loudly as we entered the gates of our new highschool. We got a lot of weird looks from others, but we didn't care about that. Then we reached our classroom, which was a lot quieter than outside because only a few people were there.

Chan hyung tried to quiet us down, but he couldn't contain his own laughter so obviously it didn't work. We were teasing Changbin just like usual, when my eyes locked with her.

She immediately averted her eyes though. My first impression of her was that she looked mysterious. I don't know why, but I just got that vibe from her.

And I'd be lying if I wasn't interested. Chan hyung probably saw me staring at her, because he shot me a very weird look the next moment and raised his eyebrows pointing towards the girl.

"Love at first sight?" He whispered to me and broke into a fit of giggles.

God, he is the oldest among us, yet behaves like a five year old at times.

"Keep on dreaming." I simply rolled my eyes.

We kept on talking and teasing each other until eventually, the teacher came. By the time it was lunch break, all of us were bored. All the teachers were either taking our introductions or giving us a lecture about how we were I highschool now and needed be more responsible.

"I swear, if the cafeteria food doesn't taste good I'm gonna start protesting." Changbin said, looking very serious.

"Yeah, me too." Jisung agreed enthusiastically.

"Changbin, is there anything else you think of besides food all the time?" Seungmin asked, letting out a sigh.

"Obviously! I think about gym!" He said, which made the others laugh.

"This guy, he eats like a bull, and then works out like one to burn the calories he consumed." Hyunjin said, barely controlling his laughter.

"Yah! Eating is life. You can't make fun of me for that!" He said, taking Hyunjin in a headlock.

"Oi! You'll kill the poor guy. Let him go," Felix said while laughing, trying to free Hyunjin from Changbin's hold.

Soon after, we found ourselves sitting at a table, ready to dig into our food. Just then, Jeongin excused himself and I saw him moving towards the other side of the room.

"Where is Innie going?" I asked the guys.

"He said he saw an old friend from Busan here. Probably went to say hi." Seungmin replied.

I tried to look for him, and immediately spotted him standing in front of a table. The girl I saw in the morning- whose name I found out was Iseul- was also sitting at that table. Just then, another girl launched herself at Innie and pulled him in a hug.

All of us shot curious glances at each other, ready to question our youngest buddy when he got back.

"Minho! Please get me some coffee?" Jisung requested me out of the blue. He looked at me expectantly, and obviously, I couldn't say no. He was my best friend, after all.

I quickly got Jisung's coffee and was just about to reach our table when I bumped into someone.

It was that girl.

I immediately held out my hand to her to help her stand up, but she didn't accept it. She had a very strange look on her face, and she didn't move for atleast a minute. I offered her my hand again, but she refused to accept it and looked frightened. It was weird.

I didn't understand what made her act like that. Did my spilling of coffee on her upset her that much?

I didn't get much time to ponder because soon she got up and began to run towards the exit.

"Minho! What happened?" Chan hyung approached me first. I hurriedly explained everything to him and he seemed worried.

"I think you should go after her." He said. I didn't need to be told twice. So, I ran towards the direction in which she went just now.

Eunseol, the girl sitting with her earlier also joined me.

"Why did she react like that?" She asked, almost to herself.

We saw her going towards the rooftop and immediately followed her. We both called out her name a few times, but she didn't reply and just kept on running.

Eventually, she stopped when she reached the rooftop. I was out of breath at that point. I truly hated running.

When my eyes fell upon her, she was a crying mess. Eunseol didn't waste a single minute and ran towards her and held her in a hug. Iseul quickly hugged her back, and cried in her arms for a long time.

To say I was confused would be an understatement. Why was she reacting like that because of such a small incident? She just bumped into someone, and it wasn't even her fault. I had a million questions swimming in my mind, but I decided to stay quiet.

She soon calmed down, and Eunseol pulled out of the hug.

"Iseul, this is Minho. He came here to apologise." She said softly.

I immediately went towards her and sat on her other side.

"I'm really sorry, Iseul. I really didn't know you would get this upset. Here, please use this to cover the stain on your uniform." I said and removed my jacket to hand it over to her.

"You don't have to apologise," She mumbled, taking the jacket from me. "I'm not upset because of you. I'm sorry for making you feel guilty."

Every word that came out of her mouth confused me even further. Then, something suddenly clicked inside my head. She had that look in her eyes earlier. One that showed that she was scared. Maybe it was due to some past experiences?

I had my doubts, but didn't question. I didn't want to upset her any further.

"Please don't apologise, I should've been more careful. It wasn't your fault. I hope you can forgive me." I said and bowed towards her. Then, deciding to give her some time to compose herself, I left.

I was really curious about this girl, and it was only the first day. I don't know for how long I'll be able to hold back my curiosity, but I hoped it was long enough for her to get comfortable around me so that I could get my answers.

For some reason, I felt that she needed help. And for some reason, I felt like I had to be the one to help her.