9 | Lies

Choi Iseul

The next few days passed within the blink of an eye. Everyday was the same. It was as if my life was falling into a monotonous cycle.

And for some reason, I didn't like that.

I knew I shouldn't have let myself get used to the company of other people. Now, when they weren't around as much, I was starting to feel lonely again. Two years of my efforts of successfully ignoring the loneliness in my heart went to a complete waste.

Just great.

Eunseol didn't approach me after that day, nor did anyone else. Minho didn't make much efforts to talk to me either.

Even though I knew I told him to leave me alone, the selfish part of me wished he didn't. I wished he didn't agree to my words so easily.

I packed my bag with a sigh as the other students made their way out of the class. It seemed as if no one wanted to waste a single minute in school. Everyone had people to be with and placed they were planning to go. Obviously, it was a Friday evening.

Except for me.

Instead, I made my way towards the school library, moving in a direction completely opposite from the rest. Exam week was approaching and I desperately needed to maintain my grades so that I could stay under the scholarship programme.

My situation didn't allow me to be able to afford the heavy fee if I don't.

I watched the other people with envy as they made their way out of the school. They looked so carefree. Atleast they didn't have to worry about not having enough money.

I entered the unusually empty library, greeting the old librarian. She just passed me a smile and resumed with her usual grumbling about a group of ungrateful teenagers.

I made myself comfortable on a table at the corner of the room, taking out my maths book to study.

Unfortunately, math was the only subject I sucked at. If I didn't do good in these exams, I could easily lose my spot. The competition was simply too high.

I sat there in the same position for over an hour, making zero progress. My traitor of a brain decided to be preoccupied with other thoughts instead of the worksheets in front of me.

I seriously wanted to slap those thoughts out of my head.

Groaning, I put my head on my arms, cursing my luck. All I could think of was the feeling of loneliness slowly taking over my mind. I hated how Eunseol's dejected face kept on appearing in front of my eyes every few minutes. I hated how Minho's concerned face kept on appearing as well.

Heaving a sigh, I gathered my things, finding it useless to sit in the library since I couldn't focus anyway.

I was getting the sudden urge to apologise to Eunseol. I knew I had to do something soon. That girl was too pure to be treated like that, and especially by someone like me.

I was on my way out when I suddenly bumped into someone. I barely stopped myself from falling as the person in front of me helped me to regain my balance.

To my surprise, it was Seungmin.

"I'm so sorr- Iseul?" He spoke up, looking equally shocked to see me. "What are you doing here?"

"Was studying in the library." I said.

"Wow, you got some strong dedication there. I could never." He said, looking amused.

"What about you? I thought you left with the others earlier?" I asked.

"Well, um.. I was in the detention room." He said, passing me an awkward grin.