Taboo Story 4 - Chapter 5

Hindi makakuha ng ideya si Chona sa kaibigan niya kaya ginawa niya ang lahat para matunton si Ryan. She wants to see him because she's dying to know what was exactly wrong with Rodney, in the eyes of someone who knew him before.

"Don't tell Lira because she might think I am vilifying her ex fiancé, which is not the case." Aligagang pangungumpisal kay Chona ni Ryan. "But that crazy-ass prowler is sick in the head in way  I can't even begin to describe how."

"W-what do you mean by s-sick? L-like paranoid, sick?"

Napakunot-noo si Ryan, "paranoid?"

"That's what Lira told me; because of an ex girlfriend who stalked him? A girl named Laureen?"

Lalong bumakas sa mukha ni Ryan ang pagtataka at pagkalito, "W-what?"

Napabuntong-hininga si Chona out of irritation, "ang sabi ko, ang sabi ni Lira, Rodney was being stalked by Laure—"

"I heard what you said," pagputol nito sa sinasabi ni Chona, "but that's not what I am so confused about."

"Then what is?"

"About Laureen."

"What about Laureen?"

"Two things.  First, you said Lira told you that Laureen was Rodney's ex. That's not true. Second, you also mentioned that Lira told you that Laureen stalks Rodney. That's not possible either."

"What do you mean?"

"Laureen was never Rodney's ex, neither did she stalk him anytime recently, or ever."

"But how did you—"

"Because Laureen is dead. College pa kami when she died kaya napaka-impossible na she's stalking or doing anything to anyone. She was found brutally murdered and gang raped by eight frat boys who were all convicted and sent to jail for life imprisonment almost a decade ago."

Napapikit na si Chona sa sobrang confusion, "b-but why would Lira say those things to me if they weren't true?"

Humugot ng malalim na paghinga si Ryan. "You're best friends, right? Hindi mo man lang ba napapansin how much she likes to spit out so many made up stories?  Hindi na ako magtataka na iba rin ang kuwento niya kung bakit ako nakipaghiwalay sa kanya."

Nagulat si Chona, "she said you freaked out about Rodney being  her ex."

"Tsss..." natatawa ito na may halong pang-uuyam. "Why am I not surprised?"

"Bakit, ano ba ang totoo?"

"I found out something  fucking unbearable about her, but I did not tell her that I know para wala nang diskusyon. Bukod doon, pinagseselosan niya rin kasi lagi 'yung ex ko dahil 'yun lang naman ang naging girlfriend ko, and we'd been together since after college.  Kaya nga para hindi na rin siya magtanong-tanong at mag-drama, sinabi ko na lang na nagpa enlist ako sa army and will not have time to commit into any relationship."

"What unbearable thing did you find out about her?"

"She's a—nevermind, I don't want you to think na sinsiraan ko siya sa 'yo. Wala na kami, and I do not want to have anything to do with her anymore so I don't see any point why I had to even mention her name."

"I want to know, Ryan. Matagal kitang hinanap to get some answers na hindi ko makuha kay Lira o kay Rodney.  Tulungan mo naman ako. I promise not to tell her, or anyone. Sikreto lang natin."

Matagal na nag-isip si Ryan.  Sinususukat ang sitwasyon habang humahalukay ng mga impormasyong maibibigay niya kay Chona.

"Lira...she's..."

"What?"

"You know that she's a certified hypnotist, right?"

"She's a Physician."

"Yeah, but also a certified hypnotist. And aside from that, she's also involved with this voodoo slash satanic cult that manipulate people into doing sinister shit for them. Do you know that?"

Umiling si Chona, "I-I..." 

Ryan smirked, "Gaano na ba kayo katagal na magkaibigan ni Lira? Bakit hindi mo alam?"

"F-five years."

"Five years?" gulat na bulalas ni Ryan, "O sige ganito na lang. In those five years that you're friends with her, wala ka man lang bang napapansing pagbabago sa 'yo, like any strange behavior and shift in proclivities that drives you to do something you have never done before as if you're in a trance or hypnosis?"

Natigilan si Chona at biglang lumakas ang pintig ng puso niya for reasons she can't verbally articulate. "Diretsuhin mo na ako, Ryan. Ano bang nadiskubre mo sa kanya na hindi mo nakayanan?"

"The day before I broke up with her, I saw her car tailing Rodney's car. Na-curious ako kaya sinundan ko sila hanggang sa parking lot ng pinagtatrabahuhan ni Rodney. Nilapitan niya si Rodney na nagulat naman no'ng makita siya ro'n. Then I noticed that she whispered something to him, and the next thing I know, nakatulala na si Rodney when they parted ways. Parang nawawala na ito sa sarili. And then he began to repetitively chant something like, 'yes I will fuck her,  kill her and put her in a dumpster. Yes I will get rid of her for you my love.'"

Lalong tumindi ang pintig ng puso ni Chona.  Naalala n'ya kasi ang nangyari sa babaeng nakita niyang kasama ni Rodney isang linggo na ang nakalilipas. A girl named Mia was indeed killed and placed in a dumpster, right after he fucked her.  Pero hindi lamang iyon ang kanyang ipinag-aaalala, dahil para kasing there were several times that she half-conciously did things in hypnotic state. At parang mas lalong tumaas ang timbre ng tinnitus (1) sa magkabilang tenga niya when she suddenly remembered Tom—the very first guy she killed who also happened to be Lira's ex. It was five years ago when she became friends with Lira, and it was also within that time nang mag-umpisa siyang magkaroon ng desire to kill and have sex with a dead stuffed person. She now wonders if Lira put her under hypnotism so she could use her to get rid of her exes.

Kinuyom ni Chona ang magkabila niyang mga kamay, while she's trying to weave the right words to ask Ryan before she ends the conversation.

"Ok ka lang, Chona?"

"H-ha?"

"Parang kasing naginginig at namumutla ka na." Dahil nangangatal na naman talaga si Chona sa namumuong galit kay Lira.

"C-can I ask you one last question?"

"Sure."

"Do you know anybody named, Mia?"

Bumakas sa mukha ni Ryan ang pagkagulantang, "w-why are you asking?"

"Just answer my question, please?"

"I-I..."

"What?"

"Y-yes. My ex girlfriend. Her name is Mia."

Hindi na napigilan ni Chona ang kinikimkim na emosyon. Napaiyak na ito sa harapan ni Ryan habang pinagtatagni-tagni ang lahat ng impormasyong nakalap niya. She realizes the possibility that Lira is manipulating her and Rodney into doing ineffable things such as getting rid of her exes, and termitating her competition.

Napapaisip si Chona kung si Lira rin kaya ang pasikretong humahadlang sa kanila ni Rodney?

There should be ways to find out; and she's now hell-bent on finding out the truth at all cost.

[ITUTULOY]

Footnote

(1)  Tinnitus is the medical term for "hearing" noises in your ears. It occurs when there is no outside source of the sounds. Tinnitus is often called "ringing in the ears." It may also sound like blowing, roaring, buzzing, hissing, humming, whistling, or sizzling.