Chapter 13 - True Bonds!

Avni

I get the second fresh blade out, not wanting to leave any chance of survival. But before I can go through with the second cut, a loud scream from outside distracts me.

I hastily wrap my wrist in one of the tops hanging in the bathroom, grab my jacket from the bedroom, and rush into the living room.

Papa is on the floor, lying still with his eyes open. On the other hand, Bhai is still fuming in his anger.

I can't abandon Papa like this.

My head swirls a bit, but I have to get papa out of here. I move closer to papa, preparing myself for the fight with bhai if he stops me.

I help papa to stand up and head straight for the door. Thankfully, bhai let us leave with only barking a few profanities.

I am hardly able to concentrate anymore and the road ahead of me blurs. But I keep walking, supporting almost all of papa's weight on my shoulders.

We don't speak a word till we arrive home after a long walk.

The moment I cross the doorway to my home, Grandma launches herself at me for bringing papa home in his condition. Even Aarav is terrified to witness the whole scene.

I am only partially aware of the words spoken around me and the questions being flung at me.

After getting papa to rest in his bedroom, Grandma pushes me away from her son, cursing me for papa's injuries.

She is right. I am responsible for everything. It is my fault.

Bhai wouldn't have called Papa if I wasn't there. Papa would not have felt compelled to come to Mehta's house.

I try to help Grandma take care of papa, but Aarav drags me away from papa into the living room.

White dots blind my vision, and I try to blink them away. Every time I blink, they increase in quantity. I shake my head, only to lose my balance, and drop to the floor.

"How's he?" Bhai's voice wakes me up from my slumber.

"Not again. Please. Just stop." I beg him to be done with it already.

He ignores me, beelining for the bedroom.

I force my eyes to stay open and almost trip, trying to approach him. I manage to stand right in front of him, not letting him go after papa or Aarav.

I grab Bhai's hand and stand in front of the door, but he shoves me and the door swings open.

Papa doesn't even flinch at the sudden interruption. He merely clasps his hands together in front of Bhai.

It kills me to witness papa like that. Helpless. All because of me.

"Bhai, please leave the house or I'll call Uncle Varma." I plead with bhai.

"I don't think this is enough to hold me in longer. And think about what I'll do when I will be released from prison. I don't think you want to know what will happen to your pretty little brother." Bhai threatens me.

Grandma is shouting at Bhai and that is not helping me calm the situation.

I try to think of anything to make him stop, but nothing clicks. Just one thought bumps into my brain. Maybe it'll stop him.

I drop my jacket, unwinding the top covered in blood, and reveal the bloody wound in front of everyone, "I'm the root of all your problems. Please spare my family. I'll be gone soon. Just leave my family alone. Please." I beg Bhai.