Chapter 5 - Chaos!

Avni

As the first rays of the sun illuminate the sky, I'm out of the couch, too excited to sleep my morning away. The sunlight brightens the house, creating a blissful experience on a rare morning.

The golden rays reflect hope for the beginning of a wonderful year ahead. After the horrible weeks following the result, I'm grateful to welcome this morning.

I shudder at the memories of unending applications, disputes, and waiting. The worst was the fear of the unknown. It was a nightmare.

I survived and am thrilled to proceed with the admissions at my dream college. At the end of this day, I'll officially be a student at SC College along with my friends.

I go through my share of chores with a bit of dancing in the kitchen, celebrating my blessing. Everyone's asleep except my uncle, who—I check the time; it's seven—will return from his morning walk anytime now.

I keep the water on the stove to boil in preparation for tea, and my uncle enters the house. Impeccable timing.

"The sun must have lost its way today." Uncle says from the kitchen doorway.

I laugh, intending to prepare the best tea of my life. I did it. I'll be going to SC. I want to shout this to the entire world. I'm finally a step closer to my dream.

I pour our tea into the cups and hand him the newspaper along with his tea. Leaving my cup on the table to cool down a bit, I fold our blankets, arranging them with the mattresses. Only aunt's bed is unmade as she is still snoring in it.

"I won't be able to join you. Will you be able to manage on your own?" Uncle asks as I take a sip of the tea.

"Yes, Shaurya and Mihika will be there." I say, giving him my complete attention.

"That's what I'm worried about." He grumbles and says, "Anyway, if anything, call me from Mihika's phone. Varma is spoiling his daughter with one."

I stifle my smile and nod before finishing my tea. I stand up, taking our empty cups with me.

"The bus is at half past nine, and I assume you also have to stop at your father's place before going to the college." At my nod, he continues, "Get ready then. Suchitra will help Preet today."

I wash the cups and leave them to dry before hurrying to the bathroom. I have to wash my hair, and it takes an insane amount of time to cleanse and condition the tresses to make them behave.

By the time I exit the bathroom, the house is buzzing with the sound of the news and the clashing of the utensils. I quickly change into a blue, full-sleeve, turtle-neck, oversized t-shirt with baggy jeans—hiding as much of the fat on my body as I can. Leaving the hair open to dry, I wrap a rubber band on my wrist, moisturizing my hands and face.

I re-check my backpack, going through the document list and every essential material for the process. I hang my bag on my shoulders and take my wallet from the closet before exiting the bedroom.

I enter the living room, and Bhai yells, "Tie your damn hair! And who the hell gave you permission to wear jeans to that college?"

I flinch, staring at him with wide eyes and then at Uncle. Uncle is reading the newspaper, and this doesn't disturb him at all.

"I'm still against her attending that college. God knows what she'll do so far away from the town." Aunt adds oil to the flames.

"My hair is damp, and I've carried a hair tie to bind them as soon as it dries a little." I reply, keeping the trembling away from my voice.