chapter 41

┄┄┄┄┄┄☆┄┄┄┄┄┄☆┄┄┄┄┄┄☆┄┄┄┄┄┄

November 2005, part 1

Over a year has passed since Satoru disclosed his past life to you. Your relationship had continued to progress, as did his willingness to open up. He was virtually a different guy from the one you met back in August 2003, but you loved this version of him.

"Satoru, stop stealing my chocolate muffins!" You laughed, attempting to steal back your muffin from his hand. The muffin broke in half and he promptly ate the half in his hand. "Satoru!"

Around you, the grass clearing was the same as ever, the fall trees shedding their coats in preparation for winter. It was getting chilly, and you had a warm jacket wrapped around.

The fifteen-year-old laughed, and you took half of his cake slice on your fork and stuffed it in your mouth in revenge.

"You're terrible!" Satoru exclaimed, impersonating a terrified face. He put his hands on each of your shoulders and shook you back and forth. "Give back my cake, you witch!"

"You wan de cake in ny nouf?" You mumbled, mouth full.

"Ew, no. Nevermind, you can have it." Satoru let go of you and smiled, rolling his eyes.

Although much changed in the past year, what hadn't changed were your developing feelings for him. He had grown much taller, and his face had matured into one of a handsome boy, although you would never admit that to him. He never failed to make you laugh with his jokes, and you couldn't help but fall for his smile.

You finished the cake in your mouth and smirked at Satoru. "Mmm that was good! That's what you get for stealing my muffin."

He let out a laugh and grabbed your shoulders. "I'll get you back one day. Just you wait."

Prying his fingers away, you reached for more of his cake with your fork but he quickly knocked your fork away with his. You continued towards the half-eaten slice but he grabbed your hand, and you took that chance to strike with the fork in your other hand.

"Hey! You-" He grabbed your other hand as you struck out, both hands now in his. "You thief. Stop stealing, or bad things will happen to you."

You laugh and twist your wrists, struggling to get out of his grip. You'd never admit, however, that you were secretly enjoying the touch.

As a last effort, you pull your entrapped limbs out of his grip and fall over into the grass, laughing. Satoru quickly stuffed the remaining half of the cake in his mouth before you could strike again, eyes sparkling with laughter as he watched you. You roll over and prop yourself up, smiling at him.

"You dropped this," Satoru handed you a pair of keys as you brushed grass and crushed leaves off your clothes. They were your house keys.

"Oh! I almost forgot about these. I promised I'd bring these back to my parents," you took them and stood up, the boy following suit. Your house was just a few minutes walk away, so you would go there quickly and come back. "Thanks for buying me the muffins, I'll be right back."

You turned to leave the clearing, when you felt Satoru's hand close around yours, holding you back. You froze mid-step.

"That's all?" He questioned. That's all what?

His hand was warm around yours, and the touch of his skin sent a shiver up your arm.

You turned to him, locking eyes with him, heart fluttering. Immediately, the autumn atmosphere turned warm. His eyes were twinkling, but not with laughter this time. It was an intense gaze, one that seemed to warm up something in your chest. He may not realize it, but the effect he had on you was growing fast.