60. Pasupu

I officially declare my readers as the best readers in the world. I am really overwhelmed by your support and love and I love you so damn much! Like you completed the target in minutes!

Here's the chapter as promised and no targets this time. Or else you will make me publish the whole book today!

Chaitra

As I walked down holding Dev bhai's hand, my eyes roamed around my home which was decorated like a new bride. Garlands are hanging from the staircase railings and from the threshold of every door. The hall is bustling with the relatives as they are all engaged in the talks about god knows what. The kids are running around trying to catch each other while the elders are laughing in groups discussing their lives. There are young couples sneaking glances at each other and a few old couples acting cute. The workers are on their toes serving juices and tea to the guests while my father, Maamu, and Mama along with Atha and Nanamma are busy talking to the guests.

Then my sight moved to my other two brothers who are dressed in kurtas similar to Dev bhai's. My eyes then moved to the temple which is decorated with garlands of marigold and roses while the mango leaves were tied on the top of the threshold of the temple. All the deities are adorned with jewels and flowers of different types. 

There was a grinding stone with an opening in the middle to hold the ingredients along with the long stick laid on a side(rolu rokali). After maa received a call from Daksh's maa sa saying they were done with the ritual, they moved the rolu and rolallu to the living room. First, they applied turmeric all over the stick and then tied mango leaves around it. Then they adorned it with a small garland made of flowers followed by a yellow thread with betel leaf tied to it.

Mumma applied turmeric and kumkum to the stone and then performed aarthi to both of them. Once they were done with Aarthi, Mumma, Atha, Maami, Naani, and Ishika bhabi added a few turmeric stems into the rolu, and then 5 of them started hitting the sticks inside the rolu with rokali. This is a ritual where 5 married women will make haldi powder which is considered a good sign and a blessing for the married life of the new couple. It is like a prayer to Maa Gauri to bless the couple with health and peace. 

I sat there along with my brothers and Bindu Vadina as the ladies continued with their work until the turmeric sticks turned into powder and then they took the powder into a plate. Vadina couldn't take place in the ritual given her health so she sat with us. This turmeric will be now used in all our wedding rituals. 

Mumma and Atha then made me sit on a chair and made me give taambulam to all the married women while they blessed me happily. Taambulam is betel leaves with a betel or sound packet along with a fruit. It will be given to the married women and they will take it holding their saree with both hands and then bless the person giving it with raw rice mixed with turmeric. 

Once I was done giving taambulam to everyone, I took blessings from my family in pairs and then 5 ladies gave me aarthi and applied a little kumkum between my brows and then I was free to get up. 

"You are free to sleep after breakfast now," Maami said caressing my cheeks and I smiled like a kid who just got his chocolate after listening to the word sleep. We all took a few pictures and then had our breakfast post which they all left me to my sleep and I took a good nap.

"Chaithu...wake up," I felt someone shaking me and a groan left my mouth as I tried to cover my ears and fall back into slumber but they were adamant about waking me up. I finally gave up and sat straight on my bed with a huff.

"What now?" I asked looking at my monkey brother, i.e., Hithu. He rolled his eyes at me pointing to the clock.

"Get up and eat. Malli aakaliki kothila egirithe nenu aithe thechhi pettanu eesari," He warned and I smiled at him sheepishly. Every time I skipped my lunch, one of my brothers would feed me when I woke up while I threw tantrums about food being cold or me being very hungry.