chapter 2 - sophie

Sophie stroked Silveny's silky silver feathers, tracing the crippling old scar on her wing with her finger.

FRIEND, Silveny transmitted. It was tranquil, the backyard filled with the smell of Calla's Panakes blossoms. Then, as quickly as it had become quiet, it grew chaotic. Silveny's ears perked up.

KEEFE! KEEFE! KEEFE! Silveny projected. Sophie turned and looked behind her to see none other than Keefe walking up to her.

"Hey, Foster. Thought you could use some company right now." He sat down next to her and looked at her thoughtfully.

KEEFE! KEEFE! KEEFE! Wynn and Luna appeared out of nowhere and snuggled into his arms.
"Oh, hey! I missed you, too! " The weight of the young alicorns dragged Keefe onto the floor. His laughter was so clear and pure.

"I'm pretty sure Fitz is still mad at me," Sophie told him.

"Fitzy's got anger issues, Foster. Everyone knows that. He'll calm down eventually. He's still my best friend."

The words flowed out of his mouth so easily as if there was no doubt at all. She wanted to ask him how he could be so sure, but she decided to take his word for it. She felt so comfortable around Keefe. Like she could say whatever she wanted to say and he wouldn't judge her. She was glad he came. He interrupted her thoughts.

As Wynn shook his feathers, a small slip of paper drifted to the ground in front of Keefe.

"What's this?" he thought aloud.

My office in 30 minutes

"Foster? I think it's time to visit the Forklenator. And we need to talk about how his letters need to rhyme." He winked at her.

Sophie rolled her eyes but smiled.

______________________________________________
percy

"Wow, I didn't think we'd be back here so soon," Percy remarked. Peleus the dragon was curled around Thalia's tree, asleep. The Golden Fleece glowed with power, keeping the tree alive and the magic barrier intact. Percy wondered what Thalia and the Hunters of Artemis were doing at the moment.

"Brace yourself," Annabeth warned him. "The last time Leo came back to Camp Half-Blood after a couple of months, he had bruises on his arms for weeks because everyone kept punching him."

"I'll be fine," Percy assured her. "Besides, Leo had literally died and come back to life. People were afraid and thought he was dead."

They stepped past the magical boundaries and saw the full extent of the camp. It felt... empty. Smaller, somehow. Even though there were more than just twelve cabins now, it still felt like something was missing.

"We... should go see Chiron." Rachel began hesitantly.

Annabeth and Percy nodded. It had been a long time since the three of them had been together at Camp Half-Blood. Memories flashed through their minds. Burning sacrificial offerings to the gods. Friends huddled together around the fire, singing obnoxious songs they knew they would have stuck in their heads for a while. Sneaking out late at night, steering clear of the eager harpies scanning the Camp for a demigod snack. It was too nostalgic for them to bear. Luckily, a rude man in a Hawaiian shirt with a Diet Coke in his hand interrupted their thoughts.

"Peter Johnson. I never thought I would see YOU again."

Percy sighed. "Hello, Mr. D. It's always a pleasure to see you."

He ignored Percy's sarcastic tone.

"Why are you and Annie Bell here?" Mr. D questioned, getting their names wrong on purpose, as always.

"We need to see Chiron," Percy gestured to Rachel, "There's a new prophecy."

"Well, then, what are you still doing here? Chiron's in his office." He took a sip of his Diet Coke and belched loudly.

So the three hurriedly walked to Chiron's room, where he was playing Pinochle with a few Satyrs. Percy recognized one of them as Grover.

"Percy!" Grover exclaimed, "How are you and Annabeth doing? It's been so long."

"We're good," Percy responded, "Well, sort of." He turned to Chiron.

"There's a new prophecy."

"Is there? Well then, tell me the prophecy, Annabeth."

Annabeth pulled out a piece of paper and unfolded it. She read,

"12 Heroes must meet from afar
to show each other who they truly are
2 Greeks alone
2 masked and unknown
These same masked 2 are already home
"Mythological" the 8 will be
With lifespans known indefinitely
Brought together they must face
Villains old and new in the same place
To fix all is lost below and above
The 12 must meet in the city of love"

Chiron frowned.

"Well, that's unusual. Prophecies haven't mentioned anyone but Greeks or Romans before. And two Greeks alone? The number is usually around 3. But very well," Chiron sighed.

"It seems this prophecy was quite sudden. Although I would like to say it is possible for the prophecy to not be fulfilled for years to come, I believe that the quest will be just as sudden. Percy, Annabeth, you will go alone. As for the rest of the 12, we can only hope they fulfill their part of the prophecy, as we cannot prepare for masked and unknown people."

"Us? Go now?" Annabeth gasped, "But we'll miss school! I can't miss it. This is college, for gods' sake!"

"Annabeth," Percy's voice was gentle. "Calm down. We can make it up."

"That's true," Rachel piped in, "In college, you can make up the work in the next semester!"

"So it's settled, then. Percy and Annabeth, you must go to Paris, France. The city of love. "