Chapter 22

Kalia's P.O.V

     I wake one morning and feel a small kick in my tummy. I smile and get up. It’s been 4 months since I left home and I feel better mentally. Physically my baby keeps giving me a run for my life with the constant morning sickness. The williams have been more than hospitable in their little town of Riverspeak. Brantly introduced me to his wife, Tessa and she's been a big help to me.
     I head downstairs and see my friends in the kitchen. Tessa glances at Brantly and gives him a nod before leaving the room to go tend to the garden outside.
     “Aspen, Tessa and I have been discussing and I think it's time that you tell us what's going on, how you ended up pregnant and alone in the woods,” Brantly's voice is gentle but his words concern me. I didn't completely lie to them but I did hide some things.
     “There's just too much to explain, we'd be sitting here for days.” I admit and shake my head.
     “Good thing we have time on our hands,” Brantly smiles and places a hand on my shoulder reassuringly. “Whatever it is, I promise we'll help you and not judge.”
     I go to speak but Tessa comes running into the room. “The prince is here!” She exclaims and immediately starts scrambling around the house cleaning. I get up slowly and look at my friends.
     “He's here for me, there's things I can't explain but there's 2 things I need to tell you before he gets here,” I say and Tessa looks at me.
     “Go on,” Brantly encourages.
     “My name is Kalia Stevens, I am Prince Maxwell’s mate. But due to my ex-mate's stupidity I am carrying a child that isn't Maxwell’s.” I explain and I watch as both of them stare at me.
     “You ran away from the prince because of a baby that wasn't conceived by him? Kalia you're a foolish wolf!” Brantly growls and Tessa grabs him before he can hurt me.
     “Brantly remember when she first got here. she said her ex hurt her and got her pregnant, something tells me that it wasn't consensual,” Tessa defends me and by the time Brantly calms down there's a knock on the door. I stay in the kitchen as Tessa goes and opens the door. I start shaking, scared of what Max will do to me but I also feel so much regret for running away.
     “Kalia, thank the moon goddess you're alright!” I hear Max's relief filled voice. He practically runs to me and scoops me into his arms. He's gentle due to my stomach but holds me close nonetheless.
     “I'm sorry, I'm so so sorry,” tears well in my eyes as I bury myself into him. His scent engulfs me, bringing me comfort.
     “Shh it's okay, I'll always love you and I don't care if the baby isn't mine, I'll love and care for it like it’s my own.” Max whispers and kisses my head.