Chapter 12

Kalia's P.O.V

     I can’t help but smile as Max places the shoes on my feet, right where they belong. But what’s even more surprising is the fact that he kept my shoes from the night of the ball. I guess that night I was too emotional to return and get them so he did something about it. I stare at the half empty closet, curious as to what’s going on. Something inside me already knows but I want to hear him say it.
     “Kalia, are you okay?” Max asks. I nod, still kind of speechless about the closet and it doesn’t go unnoticed. “You know I had one of the maids help me clean out most of my closet for you.”
     “You did?” My curiosity is getting the upper hand.
     “It’s been empty since my 18th birthday, for when my mate finally moves in,” Max’s voice is sincere and kind. I feel myself starting to warm up to the thought of staying here with Max, but a part of me still doesn’t want to believe it. I stand in silence and Max pulls me close again, he runs his fingers through my hair. I can tell he doesn’t want to let go.
     And a part of me doesn’t want him to. Kalia, are you happy? Karin asks. She always knows when to point out my emotions.
     “Yes,” I answer her. I meant to say it in my head but I accidentally said it out loud, and Max definitely heard it.
     “What?” He asks.
     “Just answering Karin,” I reply.
     “Ah, I see. What did she ask you?” Max questions.
     “If I was happy,” I whisper.
     “And? Are you?” Max presses further.
     “I am, I’m not sure what you’ve done to me but I don’t think I want to leave your arms.” I say shyly. Max’s grin is bigger than I had imagined and he pulls me into a tighter embrace, he’s careful though, my guess is he doesn’t want to hurt me. For once in my life I feel safe, like nothing can do me harm. I eventually snuggle my head into his chest, breathing in the smell of his… Wait a second, that’s not cologne I’m smelling. It smells like strawberry shortcake and apple pie. I sniff quietly trying to figure out how he could smell so good.
     They healed us Kalia, somehow they healed us! Karin howls happily in my head. I feel like I’m gonna crash to the floor. The sudden strength of my senses to the mate pull returning is like getting hit by a ton of bricks. Max catches me before I fall and lifts me into his strong muscular arms. He takes me to the bed and lays me down. I didn’t notice it before but I’m trembling really bad. 
     “Baby what’s wrong?” Max whispers, kneeling down beside the bed and taking my hand. “What happened?”
     “I-I can feel the mate pull again,” I whisper. Tears threaten my eyes. “I don’t know how but you healed me."